• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Changing ATF w/out changing filter and gaskets ..for now

Geronimo

I have a '76 automatic that's been in need of some fresh tranny fluid, a fliter and a gasket change. I've got the kit from Bavarian Auto, but one of the gaskets is on back order, which means that it won't be here until Wednesday at the earliest. After reading through this thread ~~~> http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,261259/highlight,atf/

it seems that I'd stand the chance of creating more problems if I continue to drive it. Unfortunately, I need to keep driving the car, since it's my only mode of transport. My question is, can I remove, and clean the fluid, pan, and filter and reinstall all this stuff, and then when the new gasket comes I can do another change, but this time replacing the gaskets and filter? Any and all suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks!

You should be ok, I would still service the filter and gasket when you get it, but alot of newer cars such as all hondas, you have to disassemble the trans. to to service the filter. It is not a serviced unless there is problem that requires the trans to be broken open.

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special