• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adequate packaging for shipments...please.....

The parts are expensive enough already. Some are next to impossible to replace(if you can find them). You don't want to have to buy a replacement or go thru the insurance claimes process. Everybody should take a few extra minutes to package correctly before they ship parts across the country(Styrofoam is cheap). And plenty of insurance wouldn't hurt either.................This goes double for Tii related parts.

Thank you..............and you'll thank me.

PREACH ON BROTHER!!

You really DON'T want to go thru the process of filing a claim and fighting with the shipping company about the value, whether it was "insufficient packaging" or not, etc.....

There's a guy on one of the E30 boards fighting about this right now- he bought some really nice front seats- the shipper put them both in 1 big box and shipped them UPS (no wrapping/packing inside the box- pretty much just the 2 seats....). Now the seats arrived damaged, the shipper says it's not their problem, the buyer is pissed at the shipper- but somehow forgot to save the box for the damage claim- now everyone's pissed at everyone. Package was insured, but UPS won't even consider a claim without the evidence (packing material), and even if they had the box, I'm pretty sure UPS would simply claim insufficient packaging was the problem- they use that one alot!!

I often wonder why I spend so much time packing stuff- but I've not had a damage claim in a LONG LONG time (knock wood).....and I often get comments about the secure packing job for things I've shipped. It pays off in the end.

If you're shipping anything to anyone anywhere, either spend the time to properly package it, or don't send it at all!! I'm serious about this....

Bret.

Agree with everything posted. Even some commercial shippers (one of the big BMW parts places comes to mind) don't know how to pack.

You need at least two inches of padding on each of the six sides; four inches is better. No part of the contents should be in contact with the sides of the box, and it should be packed tightly to prevent shifting of the contents and crushing of the box. Bubble wrap and styrofoam peanuts work well. Wadded paper is good for lightweight objects. For something heavier like a cylinder head, pack it in a snug-fitting box, then surround that with padding inside a larger box. Use a sturdy box and tape all the joints.

The key: generous padding on all sizes.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators