• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake bleed hell (HELP!)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I replaced the rotors,calipers,hoses and master cylinder on my daughter's '72 and have been unable to get any pedal after repeated bleedings both manually and with a pressure bleeder. I think I'm doing everything right; starting at right rear-left rear-right front-left front, maintaining a full reservior at all times. It just doesn't pump up. I have gone thru 3 quarts of fluid and all bleeders run clean and clear. No leaks anywhere.

What am I doing wrong?

First, are the calipers on the correct sides? Meaning, are the bleeders pointed up? If so, try this. Have someone in the car pump the pedal slowly 10 times and hold it down. You crack open 1 line on the master and see if air comes out. Close the fitting and repeat with the other 2 lines. You should get air out and a pedal start to happen in the car. Are you using Castrol Dot 4 fluid? 3 quarts is way too much for this job. After you get a pedal, then go to the right rear to finish bleeding.

I thought you went from the closest corner to the furthest. Left-front, right-front, left-rear, right-rear. It's been a very long time since I did this though! I could have it backward so I'd look it up just to be sure.

Pressure bleeder, though, that's the real way to do it.

1963 Vespa VNB

1972 BMW 2002 - Sold :-(

1972 Porsche 911T - Sold :-(

I did the same a few months ago, took me a week to figure out.

Mind you I put on Volvo calipers with more capacity, but I know Anthony only replaced rotors at the same time and had the same problems.

Make sure all of the other things mentioned here are in order, do a search and adjust the rear shoes as tight as you can without rubbing. Bleed from furthest and work your way in just like you've been doing and you should be good to go.

Don't ask me why this should make a difference with stock calipers, it just does...

let me know how it turns out.

mac

Guest Anonymous

Thanks to everybody! I had the calipers on the wrong sides! DUH! After swapping them and PRESSURE BLEEEDING them, rock hard brakes.

Thanks again!