• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sun Roof Repair in the San Jose/SF Area

I have a 1975 02 and the sun roof only kinda works.  I've got a ton of stuff on my plate getting the car back up and running so I'm looking for an expert to get it sorted.  Does anyone know of someone who works on these...... and can maybe make it operate even better (more reliably) than new?  I'm in the SJ/SF Bay Area.

Thanks, Cris

Karl:

Thanks, I had already reached out to them.  They recommended a place called Wardell Auto Upholstery.  I have a call in to them.

I also left a message for William at Bay Area Motorworks.

Hami at Auto Dynamik is another resource I looked into (he did a great job on my heater refurb).  He has done them in the past but would prefer to stay away from them.

Cris

Posted (edited)

Here is the thing with these sunroofs, it's typically your cable(s) that give up the ghost and then it's all downhill from there when the ham fisted brute thinks oh maybe it's just old grease or something just jamming the way. So why not just overpower it since I'm a strong person.  

That being said. It's more than time to overhaul the assembly and not just throw new cables at it. To do it properly will take full disassembly, cleaning, and reassemble. At todays Doctor hourly rates most mechanics charge I would say you might be looking at a grand minimal and may not include parts.  Not to mention the condition of your headliner and the slide cover etc....It's a can of worms when bad and tediously methodical work not for the uninitiated.  

If you want to bring it to Sacramento, I would be more than willing to assess it and even give you a price to do it based on my evaluation.  Currently did this one on my car which was as received non opening.  

PM me to take it off line.  

IMG_0548.JPG

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know