• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 2002 front shock mountings and equivalent

Vimzo

Good day All,

I am inquiring on whether there are equivalent front shock mountings and shocks that will work on my BMW2002 1969 model. Please advise as I have been struggling to get the original front shock mountings for my car. I currently have after market coilovers which I want to replace since they are old and the passenger side one is damaged and not working  they way it should. Please advise me.

Warm Regards,

Vimzo.

Vimzo ...

Replacing just the upper strut mounts will entirely depend on your coilovers.  Here are the questions we need answers to in order to help.

1) What coilovers do you have?  Any indication on manufacturer?

2) What strut mounts do you have currently?  Are they camber plates or stock rubber mounts?

3) What is the diameter of the strut shaft where it goes through the strut mount?

** Now if you want to remove your coilovers and go back to stock front strut assemblies, then you will need a pair of complete unmodified strut assemblies.  You can place an add here on the wanted section of the forum.  However, as you likely know, shipping to SA is not cheap for heavy/big items.  (I remember shipping swaybars there was more than the cost of the $440 swaybars themselves)

• Like 1

Thanks Toby and Andrew, appreciate your invaluable advice. I have coil over plates. On the driver side, which for me, is on the right hand side, the car pulls towards the right. This car has been modified to be a race car and I have converted it back to a road car. Any advice as to what could cause this?

Many thanks,

Vimzo

OK, given you don't know the manufacturer ... 

The connection on the camber plate is typically a spherical bearing or ball joint.  If you are able to remove it (perhaps held in via a snap ring is something) then there may be size or manufacturing markings on it.  Order based on that information.

If the camber plate is "solid" meaning the bearing is not damped via rubber/urethane, then that is a pretty frequent replacement item.  Given rough non-race-track roads, the replacement interval can be even more frequent (say... a couple thousand miles or even less).

-------------------------------------------

As for diagnosing your driving issues, that could be related to many things.  There are a lot of relevant threads that could help you make a check list of things to look for.

• Like 1