• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint overspray - safe way to remove from door panel

Pablo M

If you figure this one out share your solution. I’ve never come up with a good way to deal with this. Newly sprayed paint that hasn’t hardened generally isn’t an issue. I’ve used reducer in the past to get it off. Paint that’s already hardened though is a bear to get off vinyl. I’ve had some success with various methods in the past but I always end up goofing up the vinyl a bit. 

ive got some seats out at an upholsterer now. When I pick them up next week I’ll ask him if he has any ideas. 

• Like 1

get some interior tools, on ebay for cheap, or local auto store (they are plastic). search door panels on this forum and look at the parts manual to get an idea where the fasteners are at. remove all hardware, handles, armrests. use interior tools carefully to pry panel from door. Place interior tools close to fasteners so not to tear door card. You may need to order extra fasteners for reinstall. go slow.

full strength Simple Green on overspray. good luck

tools:

s-l400.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

TRIM REMOVAL TOOL : Easy to install or remove the car accessories without breaking. The sharp and clean edge of the trim tool ensures the good effect of using and curved and ultra thin clip head can reach the confined areas without pry off the trim.

Edited by joebarthlow

1974 BMW 2002 (Polaris > Sienabraun)

On 11/19/2022 at 9:45 AM, joebarthlow said:

get some interior tools, on ebay for cheap, or local auto store (they are plastic). search door panels on this forum and look at the parts manual to get an idea where the fasteners are at. remove all hardware, handles, armrests. use interior tools carefully to pry panel from door. Place interior tools close to fasteners so not to tear door card. You may need to order extra fasteners for reinstall. go slow.

full strength Simple Green on overspray. good luck

tools:

s-l400.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

TRIM REMOVAL TOOL : Easy to install or remove the car accessories without breaking. The sharp and clean edge of the trim tool ensures the good effect of using and curved and ultra thin clip head can reach the confined areas without pry off the trim.

Thanks Joe. I've got the tools and no issues removing the panels. In fact, I just redid them both with Aardvark wood cards, so that's not an issue. In fact, it was while redoing them and cleaning them that I discovered the overspray. The overspray likely is several months old from a recent spray, prior to my purchase. 
Simple Green, full strength, did not remove the paint. 

• Like 1

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

My upholstery guy had no suggestions.

I can't believe I'm about to post this...

What about brake fluid? I'm not sure if the composition of the vinyl used on original 2002 door panels, but I'd guess it's PVC. If it is, glycol brake fluids "shouldn't" harm the vinyl, and might remove the paint depending on what kind of paint was sprayed.

Fellow 2002FAQ'rs what say you?

Full disclosure: I've never tried this and I admit it's kinda of a crazy idea. 

Edited by Tdh
  • Like 1