• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition switch NLA - what now ?

deschodt

I started hoarding those switches a long time ago because I went through so many of them when I drove my cars on a daily basis. They were among the first things I would grab at the self service junk yards when 02s were plentiful during that bygone era. They  also cost only a $1 or $2 each at those places.

Most of the failures were mechanical where the plastic wore out. However, I also experienced an electrical failure with one of them. And, it was scary. I had just arrived to work where I parked in the large parking lot 22 years ago. And, after parking and  turning off the ignition I noticed smoke coming from underneath the steering column. I just about started panicking because the ignition was off and I even removed the key. I then quickly jumped out, opened the hood and detached the positive cable from the battery. This was an electrical fire and the odor from the smoke was  sharp and caustic. When I looked underneath the column I noticed the switch had started melting. Some of the wires were also getting charred. By this time I already had 18 years experience using the 02 as a daily driver. And, I always carry an extra ignition switch in my toolkit. A couple of screw drivers along with a 10mm and 13mm wrench are always at arms reach.  So, I just removed the old switch and installed the spare and everything worked normally. A couple of the wires are still charred as a reminder of that experience.

As far as the Ferrari guys buying these switches, I believe it. I used run into some of their mechanics at the junk yards who were scavenging parts from Fiats and Alfas also used on Ferraris, Lancias and Lamborghinis. The small Carello side marker reflectors come to mind. They also cost  only a $1 or $2 at those yards. I can only imagine what those mechanics were charging their customers for them. And, then there were the door handles common to some Fiats, Alfas and Ferraris. Those were $5 each. Those yards were a goldmine. OK ! I'm going off tangent. We should start a thread about parts shared between 02s,  classic BMWs and  other marques.

images.jpg

index.jpg

Edited by Alexei

On 12/6/2022 at 11:27 PM, schuetz1619 said:

The price from the same supplier a/o 12/6/2022 has inflated to $154.

I saw the $ 154 price on their website. I purchased it from their Ebay site which still shows it listed at 95.00. Only 3 left now.... 

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot