• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me identify my engine and diff.

M3This

• 2 weeks later...

Got some info back from BMW on the vins:

Thank you for your email.

The numbers belong to different cars, here's what we have in our records:

1672270 - BMW 2002 US - built 16.02.1970 - delivered 25.02.1970 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors in New York - colour Colorado (BMW paint code 002);

2584028 - BMW 2002 US - built 29.06.1972 - delivered 10.07.1972 to Hoffman Motors, New York - colour Sahara (006);

We hope this is helpful for you.

I looked up Hoffman Motors but couldn’t find a lot about it except the original Hoffman was importing cars in the early 1900s

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, M3This said:

… I looked up Hoffman Motors but couldn’t find a lot about it except the original Hoffman was importing cars in the early 1900s…

Max Hoffman was some combination of visionary who deeply understood the U.S. automotive market and slippery car salesman. He headed Hoffman Motors Corporation, which became the sole U.S. importer for BMW’s — meaning virtually every official U.S.-spec car came through Hoffman Motors — until BMW wrestled that position from him at the end of 1974, amidst mutual law suits.

Jackie Jouret has written about him. It’s pretty interesting for someone wishing to understand how car importing was accomplished before the manufacturers assumed that role.

As far as anyone here knows, or has confessed to knowing, the records of the now-defunct Hoffman Motors Corp no longer exist. Thus, we know only, from BMW, the date the car was legally delivered to Hoffman Motors Corp, a NYC-domiciled corporation. That delivery date referred to by Archives does not represent physical delivery of the car, and the place of legal delivery is always NYC, Hoffman’s headquarters. It does not represent a Port of Entry (POE) or the date the car reached its U.S. POE.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)