• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RHD brake master cylinder - can i test in situ?

Hi Forum,

There may not be so much experience about RHD brake M/C here (or maybe there is?), and i do have some advice form my UK 02 forum, but thought i'd pick your brains if i may... 

The ongoing PITA of my soft brake pedal is really beginning to get on my nerves... 1973 RHD 2002 Baur (twin remote servos)   

I've had everything replaced/refurbished and i'm not losing any fluid. I've power-bled the system various times via all the suggested sequences.

I've also spent some cash and had a Classic car garage also have a go too, that helped for the return drive home, then the next drive... back to soft pedal?

The pedal firms up after a few pumps but still feels a bit 'soft-ish'.

Servos seem okay, so i'm thinking M/C and was wondering if there is a M/C test i can do whilst the thing is still in the car?

I was thinking to disconnect the hard lines going to the M/C and plug those holes with 'something', then see if i get a firm pedal... would that be a potential test?

Firm pedal = good M/C

Soft pedal = bad M/C

Otherwise, i'll take it out and have a look but just wondering if there is an in situ test i can do?

Any suggestions appreciated  

Edited by 2002FjordBaur

Yes, you certainly can test it that way-

you'll want to disco the lines FROM the master to the boosters, and you'll

need a plug that you can bleed, to get ALL the air out.  

Another thing this would let you test- you can unhook one of the boosters, and see if that helps.

Then unhook the OTHER booster instead and see if that does- or doesn't.  

I won't advise you to test it by driving it that way- but I might, in a controlled situation,

to see if each circuit is actually working.

It's the old 'divide and conquer' version of history- and troubleshooting.

Those boosters are a miracle of...  yeah.

Good luck!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Can’t help with how to test but had similar issues with my braking (RHD), no external leaks, rear drums adjusted correctly, bled 3 times, not running servos so couldn’t be that, process of elimination pointed at MC. Sure enough a resleeve and new seals fixed the problem, i was told internal leaking of fluid was the problem.

13 hours ago, scanner said:

Can’t help with how to test but had similar issues with my braking (RHD), no external leaks, rear drums adjusted correctly, bled 3 times, not running servos so couldn’t be that, process of elimination pointed at MC. Sure enough a resleeve and new seals fixed the problem, i was told internal leaking of fluid was the problem.

Interesting...
Both my M/C and servos were refurbished with new seals and M/S re-sleeved in S/S, but I do suspect that one or both are the cause of my problem?

And just out of interest... what's involved to delete the RHD servos and how does that effect the pedal 'feel'?

Pedal feel is firmer without servos, but not excessively so, there is an option to drill a new hole in brake pedal to increase leverage to MC pushrod but I haven’t felt the need to do that.

Theres a couple of write ups on the UK forum on deleting servos, plenty of options on how to but I decided to replace old lines with cunifer and simplify routing but retain dual circuits.

D644B5DA-5E96-4E7C-93B6-92B8C85A3118.jpeg

002CB55C-C9CD-4758-8B02-23BE939139E7.jpeg

C619BFD1-705F-464D-A0E3-AF32734E2BEC.jpeg