• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Pressure Questions

After further diagnosis the KF pump was completely shot, tried Marvel Mystery Oil in the head but was unable to get the two stuck plungers to move. I've sent it off to Fairchild for a refresh to see if it can be rebuilt. Another issue was the cold start valve wasn't putting out any fuel either. In the meantime this week I was able to source a good backup pump along with a new cold start valve. I got it all installed yesterday following all the steps in the KF manual and it pushes fuel to all 4 cylinders! The engine sounds so much better when it runs on all 4. Now I'm running into some issues that I'm trying to figure out. The idle is quite high around 1200rpm and if I hit the gas pedal it just screams up to 3000rpm and stays there, this was all after a cold start, and the engine wasn't fully warm yet. I've checked all the throttle linkage and all the rods are the correct lengths some of the springs seem a little old and the cam isn't fully returning to it's original position, it's close but not all the way. If I return the cam manually it still keeps running around 3000rpm. I plan on re-checking the KF pump setup this morning, especially the TDC positioning on the pulley, the cold start valve and it's output and just timing in general. What else should I be looking for?

1974 2002tii - Ambrose

Sounds like one of your linkage pieces is not connected properly.   Is your intermediate shaft pinch bolt secure?

The only way your rpm can increase is if your pump delivers more fuel.  The lever on the pump must move.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

2 minutes ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Is your intermediate shaft pinch bolt secure?

I've tightened that down securely, it was something I missed initially when putting everything back together. The throttle body cam does return within 1mm from it's fully closed position against the idle screw. Even when I return it fully manually it's still revving up in the 3k rpm range.

1974 2002tii - Ambrose