• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M42 Conversion - DTechParts AC Unit

ashkman

HI! I searched FAQ and a number of folks were in the process of installing the unit but never found finished work.  I've done the M42 conversion and wanted to add AC and purchased the DTechParts as Jon said it shouldn't be a problem to have it installed on the M42 conversion.  Has anyone actually end up finishing the install whether on the original engine or M42? Any pics you to share is much appreciated. 

Hello AshK,

I have running AC on my M42 conversion.

I ended up using the m42 compressor and a "Fridgi-King" cover inside. Had to braze a couple fitting on the m42 lines so I could hook up the flex lines.

Jons kit is okay. The pieces they send as a console were not very "pretty". Not covered very well either. Jon is basically selling the hurricane units. He adds a few extra parts like the console, and a cover for the hole where the original heater pokes thru the cabin, and markets a kit. If you are handy, you could fab these parts yourself, get a Hurricane, and save some dough. If you are having someone else install, ya might save a little buying the whole kit vs the fab prices. I remember someone else stating in a different thread they would have bought the hurricane that exits sideways toward the passenger side, and saved putting that 35mm hole in the firewall.

Also hearing lots of good things about the Clardy/ICE condenser and the separate housing from Kooglewerks . com

Anyway, a couple pics. I am not very good at documenting, so this is pretty much it.

The fuse shot is to show part of the actual unit you get from Jon (or hurricane).

Zoom on the lower left of the engine shot and you can see the start of theAC lines connected to the compressor.

AC 1 2020.JPG

Fuses Aux 2020.jpg

interior 1 2020.JPG

M42 in.jpeg

1976 02 in Granatrot Met. m42, 5sp. - Greta

I have done 2 A/C retrofits, honestly I have to chime in for ICESAC as being a complete install solution that's cloned from the original Clardy system, add Kooglewerks face for bonus points:

57613191_2244079882307064_6223675398819938304_o.jpg

57581529_2244079832307069_3715459534983004160_o.jpg

Full install notes here: 

Summer-Izing for Hot SoCal with A/C - Pic Heavy - BMW 2002 and other '02 - BMW 2002 FAQ

• Like 2

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

• 1 year later...

@m42002 Your install looks great. Did you have to modify the tunnel? I got the Hurricane mockup unit and there does not seem to be enough room to fit behind the console without a modification to the tunnel. There is some clearance between the tunnel and the transmission, but not a lot. My car was originally an automatic that got converted to manual sometime in the past, so that may make the dimensions a little tighter as well.

Don’t know to much about the auto tunnels. Read they were just wider, but…

I did modify (read hammer) on the passenger side of the tunnel. Nearer to the bulk head as I recall. Only as I wanted the cover -or face- to sit with a bit less obtrusion. That particular cover sits proud when looking at others stock photos. 
Make sure you try with your chosen cover before the hammer commences. 

1976 02 in Granatrot Met. m42, 5sp. - Greta