• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Throttle Position Sensor for EFI 325 throttle body

2002isGuy

I got the Bosch part number from a guy's post somewhere years ago that used it in a Megasquirt EFI conversion. It fits Saab, Porsche, Hyundai, Kia, Volvo and others. And it's an original Bosch German part.

Barry

• Like 1

1974 2002 - Fuel Injected, Bored, Balanced
Wide-Body Resto-Mod w/Lots of Goodies!

My sites - 2002BMW.com & HIDupgrades.com

BMW CCA - River City Bimmers

5 minutes ago, 2002isGuy said:

Bosch has been an OEM to BMW and all of those car brands I named and has a reputation of making quality parts. How long have you been on the planet?  You didn't know that?

Don't be testy. I've been around since 1943. 

The TPS is a simple resister with a slide for the signal voltage reading.  Using whatever that fits is easier than chasing a brand.   A Jeep 4.0 Throttle body is a lot easier to setup on the 318 manifold than a 325, plus it has an integral TPS and ICV.  I've used a Ford throttle on an early E21 manifold because it fit and has an integral TPS.

I've  Have you determined the pinout?   I can provide a method using a multitestor.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

First, you're the one who jumped into my post and made the comment that my Bosch throttle position sensor "was nothing magical". I've been on the planet since 1956, and I'm sure we both know quite a bit about cars. This is my sixth and last 2002.

Thanks for the offer of determining the pinout, but I did that years ago before I installed the 318i throttle body that I just took off the car. This is the same throttle position sensor I had on the 318i throttle body which has never been in use since the engine rebuild. If that guy could use this one in a Megasquirt EFI build, I'm sure it will be fine on my build.

Happy Motoring!

Barry

1974 2002 - Fuel Injected, Bored, Balanced
Wide-Body Resto-Mod w/Lots of Goodies!

My sites - 2002BMW.com & HIDupgrades.com

BMW CCA - River City Bimmers

2 hours ago, 2002isGuy said:

First, you're the one who jumped into my post and made the comment that my Bosch throttle position sensor "was nothing magical". I've been on the planet since 1956, and I'm sure we both know quite a bit about cars. This is my sixth and last 2002.

Public posts are a free for all on this board.

I'm barely ahead of you!  You were 15 years old when I bought my car.  I fuel injected it with side draft throttles in 2004.

The Bosch unit is nothing magical.

Edited by jimk

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bring up old posts, just to add my take to the throttle position sensor pointing the wrong way.

I just finished installing new TPS on my throttle body, and like yours, mine was pointing upwards. After a bit of tinkering i found out that i can flip the shaft which opens the butterfly valve for 180 degrees. I've had an adapter laser cut to fit the screw spacing of the new TPS, but the same "flip the shaft" trick will work with all others shown here. 

You need to completely disassemble the throttle body to do that (remove the levers that opens the valve, also remove the butterfly valve). 

When reassembling, take care to correctly insert the butterfly into the shaft (it is tapered), and use locktite on butterfly screws.

See attached pictures.

20221231_140427.jpg

20221231_135323.jpg

20221231_123142.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi Gang. I may be missing something obvious but when I put the Nissan TPS on my 325i throttle body using the adapter from 02again, the voltage is around 5 and closed and 0.5V at WOT. My AEM series 1 doesn't seem to like that. Do you all have this same voltage sweep? 5V to 0V as you go from closed to WOT?

10 minutes ago, ExpensiveHoby said:

Hi Gang. I may be missing something obvious but when I put the Nissan TPS on my 325i throttle body using the adapter from 02again, the voltage is around 5 and closed and 0.5V at WOT. My AEM series 1 doesn't seem to like that. Do you all have this same voltage sweep? 5V to 0V as you go from closed to WOT?

It will not go to 0. You might need to swap the left and right wires so 5v is WOT.

You also need to calibrate the sensor. As far as I know, all ECMs have a calibration procedure where you connect up a laptop and then press a button to set throttle 0 position, hold throttle WOT and press another button to set the WOT position.

Edited by flagoworld

'74 Verona

1 hour ago, ExpensiveHoby said:

Verify the pinout with this, it's true for any TPS. The ground and Vref are reversed.20240312_070559.thumb.jpg.749400cbbed8fe6d3e2ddc7f9734daca.jpg

20240312_070613.jpg

Edited by jimk