• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tail light bezel gaskets

Myinka

So as many of us face with old cars , some parts no longer exist or are just crazy expensive. This is one solution that I think may be helpful to some of the folks trying to keep our 02 alive, and how to install a a non factory part gasket into the rear taillight bezel. 

Remove the old "crusty " one, now is a good time to get the bezel on the buffing wheel.

Old Rear Light Gasket on BMW 2002

Sure most of the 40 year old gaskets look like this, if even there

Old Rear Light Gasket on BMW 2002

From McMaster Carr company, order part number 8605K114 this is Ultra weather resistant EPDM foam cord 3/16 diameter 10 ft long, enough to do both tail lights with some to spare, it was about 5 bucks( you can look up the specs on their site for temp ranges and so on.)

McMaster Carr Part

Without stretching the cord push it gently into the bezel slot, If you pull it too tight, over time it will creep and you will have a gap.I used a Popsicle  stick to push it in gently and evenly. 

Light Gasket Installed

New Gasket Installed on BMW 2002 Rear Light

The finished product, Yes I know it is not white as the old one. There are silicone rubbers of similar size and hardness that are white. They may create a challenge when trying to compress them along the entire perimeter of the bezel, also their light (UV) resistance is not as good. and the price is 5 fold.  I honestly I think black just looks better. 

New Gasket Installed on BMW 2002 Rear Light

Good luck and happy motoring

View full article

• 1 year later...

I have to give my appreciation to @Myinka for taking the time to provide this how-to on a path forward for the NLA lens gasket for square light '02s.  Last month I bought the exact foam cord from the link provided and within a week I had a great solution to a previous owner tossing the lens gasket to apply this Home Depot type black putty to serve as a glue to hold the lens to the frame with a broken lens mounting post.  Here's what I started with for a lens gasket:

PXL_20210921_184046933 (1).jpg

Here after a couple hours of removing the nasty black putty (with the combination of an old kitchen fork and heavy duty engine degreaser) is my frame before applying the foam cord:

PXL_20211031_181118249.jpg

Finally, here's the finished product also with a new lens and no broken mounting post along with a freebie square light t-shirt courtesy of another FAQ member:

PXL_20211109_223732683.MP.jpg

My passenger side lens gasket was pretty badly deteriorated (I suspect most are and owners just don't realize it until the weather seal is compromised) so I replaced that as well (also to get the correct color match between each side for anyone who is really looking at these lights up close) and still have enough foam cord left over with the minimum 10 foot order to do the whole job again in the years to come.

-Gary

Edited by AlfaBMWGuy