• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M10 Engine

Navybob

Thanks Axco.  I know you are one of the foremost experts on these cars so maybe you can answer a few more questions. Other than the original engine and the M10 is there any other (preferably a BMW) engine that is an easy fit?  As I’m rebuilding the car I want to consider all options.  Also is there a market for the original engine? I have two and I’m not sure if I will be using both both. If I could sell one it would help me move the project along. Thank you. 

Over the years, people have installed BMW M10, Ford and Toyota 4-cylinder engines in the Glas GT. Even an attempt to install a small block Chevy V8 was made but never completed.  To my knowledge no other BMW engine was ever used.  Yes, there is a market for an original Glas engine but not here in the US too much.

• 3 weeks later...

Skicoach, thanks for the reply.  My thought process was since I would need to rebuild an engine for the car that I would most likely use a BMW M10.  Seeing the restoration is not going to be a 100% restoration, I wanted a engine with a little more power.  The M10 would give me that option while keeping it in the BMW family.

• 2 weeks later...

Navy Bob

I did just this a few years back (2009)    PM me and I can share a lot of the details I had to go through to accomplish this including radiator, motor mounts etc.   Here are a few shots    I used a 235 Getrag 4 speed as well.   Had to make an adapter to connect to the driveshaft.   Also built the grill surround (I had the GT kidney already)    I used the stock oil pan too

I ended up selling the car to a fellow who lives in the Dallas area and have never heard of it since   

DSC02852.JPG

DSC02926.JPG

DSC03143.JPG

DSC03079.JPG

DSC02907.JPG

DSC03141.JPG

DSC02387.JPG