• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering wheel shaft play - normal?

tdskip

When I went to loose fit the urethane steering coupler to replace my parish rubber one I was a bit surprised to find that the steering column has quite a bit of play in it and they can rotate it before 360° against the opening. I can move the shaft up/down and left/right freely inside the “tube” it goes into.

Is that normal or so I have a perished bushing in there?

Subframe and the struts assemblies are out to get the bushings pressed out so I can install new urethane ones I picked up from Ireland...

Thanks!

76856271-145C-45E7-9DE1-39B1C831834E.jpeg

Edited by tdskip

A "good" column is secured at the top with a number of parts, including a bearing of some sort.  I haven't taken one apart but know this because one column from my stash is that way.  It's working fine so I chose it for the rebuild and didn't explore further.  Several others, not so much - the column can be pulled out from the top and has lots of play in all directions. 

Perhaps someone else has worked on this and can explain the details.

Parts Diagram 32/8 shows a hard to decipher exploded view. 

Steering column-trim panel/attach.p.

3 minutes ago, calw said:

Should have also mentioned- at the bottom of the tube there is nothing except lots of space around the column.  That end is secured laterally by the steering guibo. 

Ah - I think I am OK there. Phew!

Thank you for the response and piece of mind.