• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headrests

1602bmw

Chris,

I cannot speak for RHD, Euro-spec cars, such as your 1602, but... during the 1973 calendar year, LHD, U.S.-spec ‘02’s converted from 10 mm. headrest supports to 12 mm. headrest supports. I would not be surprised if cars destined for other markets incorporated similar changes. The distance-on-center of the supports did not change, only the diameter of the supports. Thus, a headrest with 10 mm. supports — the earlier style — will wiggle around in a 12 mm. backrest. And a headrest with 12 mm. supports will simply not fit in a 10 mm. backrest.

Yes, I’m certain you can swap the backrest’s internal components to accommodate different diameter supports. But you should know going in that this difference exists. Only late 1973 and 1974 headrest supports are 12 mm. in diameter. Most headrests out there are 10 mm.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hi Steve, 

Thanks for the reply - thought I was singing in to the void ?

I probably should have mentioned this in my original post, but my car is actually a LHD model (French) and I have measured the diameter of the holes - they are 12mm, so hopefully there will be a match out there somewhere.

(TBH I'd be happy with 10mm too, pretty sure I could fashion a sleeve of sorts to stop the wiggling)

Cheers, 

Chris

• Like 1