• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black OG condition front seats, great to perfect.

pv02

I have a largely original paint Tii and the interior is still original as well, it’s a beautiful car but there is an unrepairable split in the driver’s seat (7 inches longways in center) and rather than recover them I want to find an original set that are in really, really good condition that are plug and play. My passenger seat Is the condition that I want but I figured it would be better to find a set that’s been together and then sell mine to someone that wants to recover one or both for their car...maybe in the mode of a restoration.

Money, yeah I’d pay enough to get them out of your really nice car ? ? ?, like that’s ever going to happen but you get the point I’m prepared (wincing) to pay up for a great set. I don’t want to even restuff them, tall order.

(Possibly, a set of sport seats, Recaro, Scheel, Alpina (forget which one makes those) etc., preferably without headrests that have all hardware to swap them in. This will tide me over while I hunt for the OG seats)

Thanks

On 7/13/2019 at 2:31 PM, pv02 said:

I have a largely original paint Tii and the interior is still original as well, it’s a beautiful car but there is an unrepairable split in the driver’s seat (7 inches longways in center) and rather than recover them I want to find an original set that are in really, really good condition that are plug and play. My passenger seat Is the condition that I want but I figured it would be better to find a set that’s been together and then sell mine to someone that wants to recover one or both for their car...maybe in the mode of a restoration.

Money, yeah I’d pay enough to get them out of your really nice car ? ? ?, like that’s ever going to happen but you get the point I’m prepared (wincing) to pay up for a great set. I don’t want to even restuff them, tall order.

(Possibly, a set of sport seats, Recaro, Scheel, Alpina (forget which one makes those) etc., preferably without headrests that have all hardware to swap them in. This will tide me over while I hunt for the OG seats)

Thanks

I’m guessing you’re talking about a U.S.-spec tii, which simplifies things somewhat, e.g., solely a 1972-74 model range (vs. the 1971-ish-75 range of Euro tii’s) and solely all-vinyl interiors (vs. the all-vinyl or cloth-and-vinyl interiors of Euro tii’s).

You don’t mention, however, the year or build date of your car: the seat covers of the 1972 and 1973 seats are identical to each other, but different from 1974 seat covers (more on 1974 models later). But we’re not done yet. 1972 U.S. tii’s had chrome recliners, while 1973 and 1974 tii recliners were uniformly black splatter-painted. Early 1973 U.S. headrests were “tubular”, like all 1972 headrests, while late 1973 U.S. headrests were “eared”, like 1974 headrests. 1972 and early 1973 U.S. headrests had 10mm headrest supports, while late 1973 U.S. headrests had 12mm headrest supports, like 1974 headrests.

So, within the range of U.S.-spec tii’s — 1972-74 — there were generally four different seat styles: (a.) 1972, (b.) early 1973, (c.) late 1973, and (d.) 1974. And if your tii is one of the last U.S. 1974 models, manufactured late in the 1974 calendar year — well after the 1975 models ‘02’s were introduced in September 1974, it could even have 1975-76 style front seats, thus a fifth different seat style.

If an original appearance is your ultimate goal, you’re going to need to more narrowly define your search.

(Separately, If you are simply trying to buy time until you find the perfect replacement seats — finding perfect replacement seats is possible but not likely — more than a few ‘02 owners have repaired “un-repairable” splits in the perforated-vinyl center sections. I’m assuming the split is along one of the original heat-seamed seams of the center section. And, indeed, by the time one split has occurred, more splits are often in the cards. Regardless, a backing is glued or sewed onto the seat cover underneath the split seam, to hold the seam together. Removing the seat cover, however, is required to do this procedure. And, with typical 45+ year old vinyl, the very process of repairing the current damage could lead to more damage. But the process has been done successfully by other owners.)

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I can't figure out how to share the link to the actual post, but there is a set on the "BMW 2002 Classifieds" Facebook page that look pretty good.  For Sale by a guy named Doug Franklin for $800:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/436279306555955/

I'm not affiliated in any way, but thought I would pass this along.

• Like 1

'73 2002 tii Graniterot/Saddle

'17 X5 Xdrive 3.5d Mineral White/Amaro Brown

'18 328d Xdrive Sportwagon Glacier Silver/Black