• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double 02 salvage (updated 6/21/19)

bianchini

UPDATE: I was in the area the other day and cruised by, there is nothing left. the whole building is completely empty and nothing behind the gates. There wasn't a note left, so TBD on double02 showing up again. sad stuff overall. 

Hey all, 

I just tried calling and emailing double02 and the phone line is no longer valid and the email hasn't been responded to. I just did a quick Yelp search and as of Feb 2019, someone said they are closed and moving (san jose allegedly).... did I miss this news? 

Does anyone have any more detail? I liked going to these guys locally!

Edited by bianchini

Hi--

Rumor has it that the landlord dramatically increased the lease rate for Double02 Salvage to about a current level for warehouse space in Hayward.  I imagine the "Green Revolution" may have had a distinct influence on that rate.  The new rate is incompatible with an auto parts salvage business.  I have heard nothing firm about the final disposition of the Double02 parts inventory.  I agree with you, Dean and Marshall always offered their best solutions to parts needs for our BMWs, often at a better-than-typical price.

Larry

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

’73 Malaga— first car, now gone

'74tii Malaga

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2019 at 9:38 AM, layers said:

Hi--

Rumor has it that the landlord dramatically increased the lease rate for Double02 Salvage to about a current level for warehouse space in Hayward.  I imagine the "Green Revolution" may have had a distinct influence on that rate.  The new rate is incompatible with an auto parts salvage business.  I have heard nothing firm about the final disposition of the Double02 parts inventory.  I agree with you, Dean and Marshall always offered their best solutions to parts needs for our BMWs, often at a better-than-typical price.

Larry

Thanks, Larry! 

IMHO with the way Bay Area real estate is going, this had more to do with the "Greed Revolution" than anything else ?.   Anyway, I agree 100% with your comment.  Marshall was always superhelpfull to me, especially when I first got into the hobby.  Always willing to dig up some obscure part, or share vital information.  I sure hope they do re-surface somewhere as 02 Salvage again.  

- Crash

• Like 1

'73 2002 tii Graniterot/Saddle

'17 X5 Xdrive 3.5d Mineral White/Amaro Brown

'18 328d Xdrive Sportwagon Glacier Silver/Black

Dean, Marshall, Ed and all the rest are 02 Pioneers...

Whenever, I work in the Bay Area on projects, I always bring my 02 from LA; knowing they were there gave me peace on mind..

I'm praying they re-group and find another place...

- Ed 

• Like 1

73 BMW 2002 - Automatic

79 BMW 733i
79 Camaro Z28 + 88 Corvette (35th Anniversary) + 95 Ford F150 + 05 Lincoln LS V8 + 07 Chevy Avalanche

• 2 months later...

Greetings,

On behalf of Double 02 Salvage inc. I’d like to reach out and say that as of right now, we are reorganizing and consolidating the business.  We have kept a lot of the 02 inventory as well as some e30, E28 and E24 parts. We are hoping to return on a much smaller scale. In the near future we will be accepting online requests and by appointment pick up of parts. The plan is to re-open as an online only business.

While the speculation about the spike in rent is accurate, many factors led to the decline in business. One of the main factors is the sharp increase of illegal home dismantlers. They not only do not comply with legal dismantling, they don’t have EPA inspections, Fire inspections, etc etc. Those are all things we complied with and had to pay for. Another factor, shipping, Places like ECS tuning and FCP euro offer free shipping, that was something we could not do and most people expected us to do.

Another factor. We cannot compete with online retailers who sell volume. Some online retailers make just a few cents or dollars off of parts in addition to offering free shipping. It was something we could not compete with, especially with the cost of rent, inspections, payroll and insurance.

So with that, we leave you with a “see you later” and please follow us on Facebook and instagram www.Facebook.com/Double02Salvage  @Double02salvage for the latest updates.

Thank you all for the support.

Double 02 Salvage Inc.

• Like 8

• Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors

[[Template slidermaker/global/embed/showSlider is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]