• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 2002 for $2k. (not mine)

Bibm5

8 hours ago, Seth Horwitz said:

I need a windshield. Has anyone, in history, bought a parts car to get just the windshield? That’d make for a funny story at $200, not $2,000, I suppose. 

Seth,

New windshields are available and not expensive (e.g., from BMW and others, such as Safelite). There are several not-too-old threads on the topic. I seem to recall the replacement windshields are largely by Pilkington, and other sources sell the same OEM windshields at a much lower markup.

The problem with used windshields, assuming they don’t have cracks, de-lamination, or material chips, is that they acquire a fine “mist” of tiny little chips from every little piece of gravel that ever bounced off them. These chips are virtually invisible until the sun is at just the right oblique angle and you realize your windshield is virtually opaque as the light catches the tiny chips. And that is when you decide you must replace your otherwise gorgeous original windshield.... I’m guessing.... ?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks, Steve.  Yeah, I’m planning on getting a new one. I noticed in a few threads that some people complained about the Pilkingtons seeming to chip up a bit faster than the ones marked BMW. That’d probably drive me nuts. It seems that the issue is that even dealers don’t know what they’re going to get when the distributor drops them off. I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. If I’m planning on a glass-out repaint (still undecided based on other mod choices), I’ll wait to do the windshield, then. 

Seth

• Like 1