• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, I bought a new car...

irdave

45 minutes ago, Simeon said:

Just where are the pictures?

Oi!  I haven't even had it in the air yet!  Wife just got back into town after a week away, I still need to let her know I bought the thing.  :)

Let me get it up on jackstands tomorrow.  My understanding is that there is a bunch of chassis reinforcement...

It's ok to drive, short first gear though.

• Like 2

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

12 hours ago, irdave said:

It's ok to drive, short first gear though.

Dave, First gear makes for a good trail machine in Colo.

• Haha 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

4 hours ago, g_force said:

Dave is the short 1st because the e30 M3's 4:10 is low for a car as light as an '02?

It just runs out fast- like leaving from a normal light in a normal (for normal people? NOT 7k rpm) manner, and you're almost instantly needing to shift to second.  Seems like it's at around 30mph.  I've only driven it for a little bit- we'll see.  I think it's just that first gear is short, probably to help people that can't drive a manual get going- BMW does silly stuff like that all the time, eg, the brilliant clutch delay valve in at least the e46 / e85/6.  Along with the dual mass flywheel.  Who knows what they're thinking.  (This is the reason I keep bugging Toby about using a T5- so I can pick the ratios.  Probably all the years riding a bicycle has me sensitive to the cogs.  And I'm kinda' picky when it comes to mechanical stuff- just want it to be right.)

Tangent, kind of...  If you have a regular e46m3, get a diff from the convertible m3.  It's just a touch shorter and you can totally feel it- it's absolutely correct for the s54.  I think the regular m3 has the diff it has because you can reach 60mph (just) in second (at 8200 rpm)- requiring only one shift- so it's good for the journalist / magazine type shoot outs...

• Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

13 hours ago, irdave said:

like leaving from a normal light in a normal (for normal people?

It's either that Ray doesn't or isn't  :lol:

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.