irdave

So, I bought a new car...

29 posts in this topic Last Reply

It's basically an entire e30m3 shoe horned into a 2002, like including the power steering and rack and the AC. M3 brake master, pedals hung from the top. Front subframe with brakes, strut tops relocated back so the castor is correct for the m3 suspension. Rear subframe with suspension and brakes from the m3, including the diff. And so much more.

It was featured in the first issue of Bimmer magazine, April '98.

Car needed to be saved so I went and got it. My wife will most likely shoot me with one of my own guns...

Oh, and those are the plates for it, from CA, BMW M2.

IMG_20181109_193915524.jpg

IMG_24621.jpg

IMG_20181109_195211929.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

What he said! ^

Cheers,

They never finished it?  or was that 'finished'?

t

How does it drive? I assume that they managed to get it to running and driving stage at some point if they swung a magazine article about it 20 years ago. 

Get yourself a blog open and we will get the beers. 

• Like 1

Yeah, blog for sure.  The flares are awesome- they cut the sheet metal into fingers, bent them up and welded them together.  Honestly, it could have been MUCH worse.

I've been looking through the boxes of notes, receipts and pictures- guy had over 700 hours of documented (paid) labor into this thing.  Guy that did the work re-engineered everything trying to make it absolutely right- really impressive.  There are 8 or 10 inches of binders with notes and a USPS large flat rate box of actual pictures.

That picture is the current state.  It's starts, runs, drives.  The driving / seating position has been moved back about 4 inches...

I'm not sure of the plan right now- I'll get some new tires and change the fluids.  It needs door gaskets and trim by the front windows.  I need to look at it and understand it more.  They were trying to remake the m3 inside the 2002, so they brought most of the m3 wiring harness to go with it.  Not what I would have done, but it wasn't my car until a couple of days ago.  It's interesting; I have really come to appreciate the spartan interior of the 2002.  This car has much more of a cockpit feeling- large center console with HVAC, radio, gauges.

But I think I'm going to put the plate on it from my tii and take it for a drive.  :)

9 hours ago, TobyB said:

They never finished it?  or was that 'finished'?

t

Ya' know, Tob, turns out I don't really like pretty things.  Sassy, for sure, but not pretty.  If I keep it, it might just stay looking like this on the outside...

• Like 3

Keep that thing as is. Its sexy and sexy is beautifully unique .......

Nice car...... How much did it cost?

ira 

1 hour ago, airborne85 said:

Keep that thing as is. Its sexy and sexy is beautifully unique .......

Nice car...... How much did it cost?

ira 

A lot, but the price was such that I drove from CO to CA to pick it up...  We'll have to see what needs to be sorted- it has a couple of issues so far from a shake down drive this morning when I met up with JimK down in Loveland...  Needs some sound damping for sure- it's loud.

7 hours ago, irdave said:

Ya' know, Tob, turns out I don't really like pretty things.  Sassy, for sure, but not pretty.  If I keep it, it might just stay looking like this on the outside...

Hmm, I don't know that I dig the partial guidecoat look.  

I agree, if it's too pretty, I never drive it, but if it's not all one color,

I am embarrassed to drive it in town...

...so maybe I'd get it all into guidecoat?

That primer's neither waterproof nor UV resistant, tho...

Long before the current flat paint trend, a friend and I played around

with flattening agent.  We both discovered, independently, that shiny

is FAR easier to do!

t

Need to get it ready for the MidAmerica02fest.  Blunt and Terry's guys will be all over it, say'n "Nice"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That’s a good story... I like the adventure of it all .. So the price whatever it was was worth it and as adults to get thrilled by things still is a thrill.. Good for you. You get what you deserve 

Ira🤓