• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marchal Ampilux Part Number?

Nov 32T

All '02's take the same model Amplilux, and it is, far and away, the most popular model...

And, yes I've noticed that the first pair of NOS Amplilux shown below (first through third photos) came in boxes marked 61282913, but bear tags marked with the usual 61282903, like every other Amplilux I've seen for BMW's.  I have no idea why that is!  That first set is dated the 41st week of 1983 ("41/83").  The fourth photo shows an un-dated example.  The fifth photo shows a dated example manufactured the 15th week of 1974 ("15 74").

By the by, when you're wiring them, the preferred setup is that both low and high beams are illuminated when you select high beams (stated differently, you want all 4 headlight bulbs blazing when you select high beams).  The high beam is very focused and if your high beams consist solely of the high beam bulbs and reflectors, you will be disappointed. The low beams should provide the "fill" light around the narrow high beams.  Sorry, I don't currently have any Amplilux wired up to share.  I'll probably need help anyway to make them work in the preferred manner!

Regards,

Steve

IMG_0544.JPG

IMG_0547.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG

IMG_2581.JPG

IMG_2586.JPG

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Interesting that the ampilux can be wired so all 4 bulbs work when hi beam is on.

My 74 tii has them and they are not wired to to burn all 4 in hi

Would be very interested to learn how this is done.

Anyone know how easy? Do you need.a.new harness?

20 hours ago, kilmarkid said:

Interesting that the ampilux can be wired so all 4 bulbs work when hi beam is on.

My 74 tii has them and they are not wired to to burn all 4 in hi

Would be very interested to learn how this is done.

Anyone know how easy? Do you need.a.new harness?

Well, this is yet another reason why I simply stuck Cibie Z Beams (introduced in 1974) on my '73 (Amplilux were introduced in 1967, or thereabouts): you've got to come up with a warning harness to make Amplilux work "properly".  If you look at the Amplilux instructions, below, they provide the wiring plan, but I've been a.) too lazy to try them, and b.) uncertain that I want to alter the wiring harness on my round taillight tii.

As they say in the instructions:

"If the generator is powerful enough, or if the vehicle is equipped with an alternator, connect the 4 bulbs all together for the road beam."

By the by, my two cents:  I had Amplilux on my '70, which I totaled ca. 1974.  They are very good llights, but I can't recall absolutely whether I wired them correctly -- I probably did, as I was unafraid of challenges and altering cars in those days -- and I still don't believe they are quite as good as original Cibie Z Beams, which are strictly "plug-and-play".  Still, my intention is to get a set of Amplilux at least on my '73, which pre-dates the Z Beam.

Regards,

Steve

IMG_0672.JPG

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)