• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tough questions- Fuel inlet ring bolts and

I have a few funny questions. 72 tii-

1) I got my car disassembled, by someone else. I have all the parts for the fuel filler neck install, but I do not know the thread and length of the tiny little bolts (see photo center) required inside the trunk. The four holes in the inner fender are full of paint from the body shop, and I need to tap em prior to install. Just really need the thread m4?m3? or perhaps someone has a handful...

2) Engine assembly of a 2002 motor, being fitted with Tii parts. On the Tii, there is a secondary bearing cap on the #3 main bearing. It supports the oil pump pickup.  I have the Tii pump, but, I do not have that extra cap for the center bearing. Anyone have one? Other solutions? Engine is ready to go, but, not till i'm happy with the oil system. I guess I will need longer bolts too. 

screenshot_156.jpg

screenshot_157.jpg

Realoem describes the tank screws as 'sheet metal screws' and from memory they do have a tapered, open thread like a self tapper. 

I would get hold of some and just run them into the holes (though they appear to be NLA) or try some generic self tappers instead. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

72, so you have the shorter filler neck, the ring with threaded holes, and another ring that sandwiches the rubber boot...

They're probably 3mm- honestly, I'd get the small taps, and have at it- start small, and get bigger until it taps cleanly.  Then buy fasteners accordingly.

The couple parts cars I took apart often either were already stripped or the little fasteners broke off as they were coming out...

I'd look, but all of our cars have a hose clamp there, instead, as they're the early Pinto style...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The part I need is the center bearing/oil pump support. I can get the plate that goes between the two.  Dead center in the below drawing, from the factory books, you can see the oil pump pickup, the support plate that rises from it, and the angled add on bearing cap for the #3 Main bearing. This will require longer crank bearing bolts, and the cap. The vertical plate is available. I just need the cap and bolts. I do not need anything but factory BMW parts for a Tii, nothing more.  

screenshot_158.jpg

Must be a US-only special...

As far as I know, all 02 from 66 to 77 have one and the same oil pump, pickup and pan (excl. the turbo with its return junction). If I'm wrong here, please faqers: beam me up to more knowledge.

Here's the support socket, #9:

OelPpAbst1.png.496d91afb3e28e8f9dd067dd38d16788.png

And here the support plate #16:

OelPpAbst2.png.53e9ff8f105a51ea7593e4951798368c.png

I've got them both, but there will probably be somebuddy in the US, too.

Dazed and confused,

Henning