• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering box shims (gritty feel)

D.martijn

Hey guys,

I started assembling my steering box again and when I install the worm gear and the original (cleaned up) shims (2x 0,2 and one 0,1 as far as my caliper is correct)

and I torque down the 4 bolts and turn the worm gear it feels gritty. I took it all apart again and used another 0,2 shim instead of the 0,1mm shim and now the worm gear spins freely but has some radial play. 

As far as I can tell, there aren't any 0,05mm shims available which might help..?

Anyone that has some suggestions on what I could try? Would I be able to feel the notchyness when the car is all back together?

Thanks,

Martijn

I'm guessing you haven't filled it with oil yet.

A little bit of preload (0.05mm, in your case, it sounds like)

is vastly preferred (and actually, specified) to 'smooth', or just a little loose.

When the bearings are loaded up in cornering (or parking)

there is a tiny amount of deflection in the box, and the preload

is specified to keep the unloaded bearing from slopping around in its seat.

If it slops around, it's a lot harder on things than if it has some pressure.

What you describe is how most gearboxes generically are set up- sometimes, they

even spec getting it to where you are, then adding or moving a .1 mm shim to make it even more

tight,  Diff pinions are done with a 'drag' measurement- the bearings are compressed into the

races until it takes a certain amount of force to turn them.

Add oil.

Bet you're ok!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL