• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dif Pinion Baffle needed?

2joejoe2

Im rebuilding my E21 LSD (new bearings and seals) .......I noticed in Ace Andrew's write up that he removes/ destroys the pinion baffle in order to remove the rear pinion race....I don't see anywhere in the write up him replacing it. Is it necessary?  From what I have seen on Maximilian the part isn't even available so, I don't want to destroy it if it is needed 

I have been into several, and never replaced the baffle.  Getting them off without mangling them was not easy (I remember trying)

and I justified it by saying that it showed up in production at a random time, and the earlier diffs didn't seem to suffer too much without

them, so I left it out.

1 vote for not sweating it too much,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks for the reply Toby,   I ended up getting the rear pinion race out with the baffle in place....When tearing the diff apart it looked like the front pinion bearing was not getting enough oil...it was pretty burnt Im wondering if removing the baffle would help oil flow to the front bearing.?