• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT: Triumph GT6?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I still have a desire for a 2nd 'classic' car...I really want to hold out for a convertibile...but I came across a Triumph GT6 project car. You gotta admit, they look cool. Anyone have one of these? What can you tell me about them? Seems they have rust issues primarily in the floorboards and battery box..other than that?

And the bigger question..what kinda engine swap can I do to it?

Matt

'72 02/m20, wanting a convertible for a girlfriend...

Guest Anonymous

and it was a piece of shit. Of course, that's redundant, because it's British. It literally would not start if I opened the hood (under an awning) when it was raining.

Guest Anonymous

Matt - I had a '67 TR GT6. Nice car. There are several specialty parts houses that sell reasonable replacements for them. The one body part that is tough to find is the one piece hood and fenders, so make sure yours is good. There was an "axle hop" problem during hard cornering on the MK1 car ('67-'68) but later versions solved it. You really don't have to do an engine swap on it. The little 2 liter straight 6 with dual carbs moves it pretty well.

Guest Anonymous

I was going to restore it, but there was too much rust...only 54K miles and sitting for 25 years...its a shame it was a Minnesota/Wisconsin car...

Guest Anonymous

I know where one is for sale for 300 bucks. Now in the 7 to 8k range i have a perfect MGB, 9.8 out of 10

with weber 32/36 conversion. It was completely restored in 94 and I have driven it approximately 1200 miles since. It runs like a scalded dog.

Guest Anonymous

pretty well - they were used in rear-drive applications with 5 speeds and multi-point injection (Camaros and S10s), should be plentiful and cheap, made pretty decent power and looked pretty small.....

Guest Anonymous

i would prefer alfa duetto or kamm tail spider 1966-1974 or fiat spider 1966-1974 or an alfa gt/v 1600-2000 coupe by bertone 1966-1974. i had triumph cars in the past and the only one that i liked were the tr3/4/250/6. the spitfire was the most reliable and it was basically a gt6 w/out the roof. so you can do a 6 cyl conversion on a spit using gt6 parts. when i had the money back then i had a '64 e type carmen red w/biscuit. it was gorgeous, classic lines, very beautiful but started a family so it had to go too.

i settled for a later e30 325iC 91 with the smaller bumpers. fast reliable and starts even in the dead of winter and would be user friendly especially to your girlfriend. british cars have lucas electrics so be prepared to be in the dark most of the time, they also overheat in the summer and have no heat in the winter. good luck starting them below freezing weather!

started my A3 with the sidedrafts, hi comp and sport cam this morning the weather was -9 C it just fired up with one click of the starter (manual choke on or pump it twice before starting).

Guest Anonymous

I used to love all those british cars from that era, but driving the GT6 felt like driving a model t compared to the 02's, and I just couldn't fit my big feet on the pedals. They do have that "classic" look though...