• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater Box Access and A/C Question

tskoda

Really just a quick question about a 1973 base 2002 with a Frigiking AC unit.

I need to get to the blower motor to replace it, and I'm guessing that the AC unit needs to be completely removed. As in drained of freon, lines disconnected, sitting on the workbench removed.

While I've read quite a few articles on blower motor replacement options, and heater box refurb, I haven't found an article that answers that question. I have the AC unit laid bare and I see no other way other than to remove it to open the heater box and eventually get to the blower motor.

thanks

Tom

You'll have to remove the heater to replace the blower motor. But, at least with Behr and Clardy A/C units -- with which I'm familiar -- you don't have to remove the A/C evaporator/blower from the car in order to remove the heater. On both of those units, with the hoses still connected, but everything else unbolted and unfastened, you can swing the A/C evaporator/blower somewhat into the passenger (right) foot well. It's not great or easy access, but it works with the Behr and Clardy units because their hoses enter the passenger compartment above the passenger foot well. So examine your Frigiking's hoses and see if the "swing-to-the-side" method might apply.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)