• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Covering Up Bare Metal

Utah02

Hey Guys,

Weird question. I won't be surprised if anyone can answer this well. The previous owner of my 02 was wanting to restore the full exterior. I have the same goal but want to attack it a different way. He hoped to sand down the whole vehicle to bare metal then go at the rust. I don't have the time or patience for such a job so I'm going at it bits at a time. When I bought the car he was half way through sanding down the paint on the right quarter panel. So now my 02 has a nice foot and a half wide patch of bare metal from the right rear wheel well up to the trunk. I love taking pictures of my car and what not but always avoid the right side for this reason. My car is white and Im wondering if anyone has an idea for something to cover that up. I'll eventually finish the body work and repaint the car but in the mean time I would prefer not to let this big spot look bad and ultimately rust. Ideally something that isn't extremely noticeable unless close up so something white. Of course nothing is going to look fantastic but something thats better than bare metal.

Anything helps

Utah02

White epoxy primer. 2 part. It will seal the steel (need to take a DA sander with 80 grit discs to it first. This will then be OK to use for an extended period. The surface will slowly 'chalk' and yellow with exposure to UV but should stay roughly white until you can fix it up.

When you do come to overpaint you will need to sand it first to allow any paint or primer to key to the surface. I stripped my car one panel at a time following with epoxy. From the first to the last it took about 2 years so it was all kinds of off white to gleaming white colours.post-39712-0-17761600-1433838773_thumb.jpost-39712-0-65335900-1433838831_thumb.j

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Actually what I want to say is IF (and it is a big if) I go down the road of a bare metal respray again. This is what I will do:

https://youtu.be/bCehkkTTeMk

Probably take the trim and chrome off first though.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/