• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let Me Take Your Portrait!

McMadCow

I enjoyed being a part of the project, can't wait to see the finished product! Here are my photos of the photos...

IMG_5080_zps722a9b75.jpg

Scoping a location off of Alpine Road

IMG_5086_zpsc51818f9.jpg

Glamour shots

IMG_5090_zps471dcc74.jpg

IMG_5094_zpsd113e863.jpg

Had to jump into the garage for a quick fuel line fix!

1989 BMW M3

1992 Nissan Skyline GT-R

2017 Ford Focus RS

I actually had two issues that day!  My fuel return line came partly loose when we were doing the car shots with magnus and his lady, and then I had a part of my shift linkage fail on the way home from Spike's place.  Both were easy fixes, but the last thing I wanted to deal with after a day of making pictures.  

BTS shot of magnus and his girlfriend as we were prepping to shoot their portraits.  Cute couple!

post-39297-0-34896500-1417664827_thumb.j

'74 2002

'89 Spec E30 325i

'92 325i

Hey there,

If you are still looking for people/cars in photograph in SF, I can be available. I am also a photog in the city with a 74Tii. It was largely stock until last week when I began a bumper conversion.

Thanks!

Beck

These are awesome. Makes me wish (even more so) that I still had my 02. There's a guy around the block from me that would be an excellent candidate. I'm not sure if he's on the board, but I'll try to get him involved. Great work!

These are awesome. Makes me wish (even more so) that I still had my 02. There's a guy around the block from me that would be an excellent candidate. I'm not sure if he's on the board, but I'll try to get him involved. Great work!

Yeah, I'd love to hear from more folks!  You can point him to this thread or my website and I'd be happy to answer any questions he may have.

BECK, I'll PM you momentarily.  Definitely interested in shooting.  

Just wanted to update the thread for everyone involved and also interested.  I'm calling it quits for the year at this point.  Headed back to the East Coast for an extended Holiday visit, so I'll be back in the New Year.  In the meantime the lab I work at has been having limited holiday hours so my editing is on hold until I get back.  I'll be picking back up in January, with a couple of subjects currently in the queue.  I'll repeat my earlier request for tracking down some female owners as I'd ideally like to keep the ratio no worse than 2-1 men-women.  Happy Holidays everyone!

'74 2002

'89 Spec E30 325i

'92 325i

Are you the mystery benefactor who left an '02 owner's manual under my windshield wiper some months ago? I'm in Menlo Park near Ravenswood/Laurel.

If so... thanks!

Edited by magnus

1989 BMW M3

1992 Nissan Skyline GT-R

2017 Ford Focus RS

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, wanted to give a New Years update, as well as a spot of bad news.

The good news is that everyone who has participated so far has seen their select portraits!  I'm not releasing the car portraits yet until I have the project as a group, because it will be at that point that I decide how to uniformly present the cars.  There are several people in the queue to shoot, but that may be put on hold because of the bad news:

The bad news is that someone rear-ended me today on the N 101.  The damage isn't overwhelming, but I think I may be looking at a total loss if the chassis is bent like I think it is.  Also, my fuel tank was hit by my exhaust and is pretty well smashed, but is still holding fuel at the moment.  The hit was also good enough to break 3 out of 4 of my seat mounts.  I think the repairs are going to be a case of death by a thousand cuts.  

So I'm probably not going to be mobile around the Bay Area for a bit while this gets sorted.  I'd rather not be on a long road trip if my fuel tank lets go.  

I'm currently speaking to several FAQ members but if anyone out there knows a good body shop in the area that really understands the skyrocketing value of 02s, please hit me up here or via PM.  I want to replace the car if it's a loss, but I don't want to get an unreasonably low settlement that won't cover a real replacement (M42 swap).  

So yeah, the project is going well, but it's going to be a bit slowed for the time being while I get thi situation figured out.  Thanks to everyone who has participated so far, and sorry to those of you who might have to wait a little longer.  Hopefully my car ends up being a part of the project in the end...

'74 2002

'89 Spec E30 325i

'92 325i

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear that - same thing (albeit softer) happened to me on 280 last year. Roger Elle did a phenomenal job rebuilding the back - he's in El Sobrante - (510) 672-1222

That said - I'd like to participate in your project - if you can make your way down to Campbell we're planning a Bay Area 02 Owners Cars and Coffee Sat Feb 21 at 9:00 am - maybe a good way to net a few more cars + drivers?

Best,

Glenn

99 M3 Titanium

72 tii Polaris

• BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

The BMW 2002 Production Run

BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t
  • Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors