• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car Enthusiasts And Chat Boards - Anyone Else Noticed?

Kidasters

So, I look at a lot of boards right now, for various reasons.

I poke around the 2002 board, because I like the people and the topics.

I poke around a Porsche board - just because.

I've started poking around a ferrari board because I'd really like to get a 308/328.  Too many episodes of Magnum P.I. I guess.

Anyway - visiting these three boards, I started to notice something:

2002 board:  Lots of DIY.  Lots of questions on how to fix/improve/restore - and really good answers.  

Porsche board:  About 1/2 DIY and 1/2 stupid stuff, like "How do I wash my car" and "my mechanic charges me too much for X".

Ferrari board:  Not much DIY and a lot of "how do I remove the sticky stuff on the A/C panel".

Maybe it has to do with the complexity/increasing exotic nature of the cars?  I know when I got my first 911 I was terrified to work on it.  At the same time - I've done tons of wrenching on the 2002 (actually - come to think of it, I've never taken that car to a mechanic.  Ever.).

There are always exceptions.  I've read really good DIY posts on both boards.  But, they aren't as prevalent.

Thoughts?

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

2002s are easy to work on.

Porsche guys, some wrench, most take theirs to a shop.

Ferrari guys have to pay someone to do just routine maintenance because the engine and subframes need to be dropped, easier for a knowledgeable mechanic to work on.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I don't know which Porsche board you looked at. Even though I sold my 911 last year, I still look at the Pelican Parts Porsche boards, both the Tech board and the Other Topics board. Both are very informative. Seems to me that a lot of those guys there work on their own cars. I did some work on mine, but it's true, those cars can be complex and difficult to fettle. Valve adjustments, required every 7,500 miles, are especially difficult. Or at least, would be for me. I had mine done, an expensive deal - $500 to $750, depending on the shop. And the fuel-injection systems can be complex and difficult for some of us to understand. For sure, the early Bimmers are much easier to work on. Mind you, I haven't had one in years; I'm a former 1602 owner. I aim to somehow resolve that problem.

But, this: The Porsche guys drive their cars. The BMW guys drive their cars. From what I can tell, the Ferrari guys may not drive their cars quite as much because of the cost and complexity of running the things.

-JFT

'68 1602 I wish I still had

No 2002 yet, but looking

2003 E39 sportwagon

1982 Porsche 911SC