• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning/flushing A Fuel Line?

bcarey

What's the best way to clean some rust residue from my fuel line?

My gas tank developed a bit of rust on the inside, and some of that fine sediment was clogging my sender unit and fuel line. I've cleaned my sender and refurbished my tank, but I want to clear out the fuel line as well. What's the best way to do this? I was thinking of flushing it with water or Seafoam or something and blasting that out with compressed air. I don't think I have any blockages, but I want to clean out any fine residue before I put everything back together.

I've searched on this topic, but I haven't found a direct answer.

Thanks!

rubber lines...just replace them.  cheap and easy.

hard lines...use carb parts cleaner.  it comes in gallon cans at autoparts store.  pour in one end of line until it comes out other end.  plug far end.  let it set over night.  flush with several rounds of carb cleaner.  reconnect.

2xM3

Replacing the line is probably a good idea! I've read on here that 8mm is the stuff to go with, but about how much new rubber do I need? Also, what does this entail? I've tried to piece it together from other posts--do I run rubber from the trunk to a plastic (or metal?) line that's under the rear seat, and then do the same under the hood?

Oooh, wait on the carb cleaner on that plastic line- it might not like it.

The way I'd do it is to pressurize a pot of gas to something like 10 psi, then 

squirt it through the lines.  Yes, replacing the 8mm rubber line is a good idea

(8mm=5/16, as far as fuel line is concerned)

but a flush with clean gas at SPEED (versus pressure) will do a good enough job.

I put a filter at the inlet to the carb.  That helps, too.

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks for the clarification -- I probably would have screwed that up!

As for the actual procedure, does the rubber run the entire length of the car, or just a few feet from tank to the plastic tube, and then again into the engine compartment? If the latter, where are the connecting points?

Thanks!

Bjorn