• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Waimea Canyon Drive Better Than Tail Of Dragon!

M3M3

the is much talk about the hundreds of turns in the tail of the dragon drive in NC....but..i found a better drive.

Waimea Canyon Drive on Kauai, HI.  wow.  just wow.  18+ miles of elevation changes climbing from sea level to 4k feet and nary a time when the steering wheel was centered.  then there was the outstanding views of the canyons in the drop off on the right side of the road and the absolutely stunning views of the pacific of the left side of the road.   speed limit 25.  i was going 30 and my right seater was getting car sick from all the turns!  road was taken in a rental ford mustang convertible with the top down.  heaven!  once you are at the top/end of the road, a several mile hike rewards you with stupendous views of kalalau valley.  highly recommended!

(bad cell phone pic from top along hike)

2014-04-23_10-20-15_701.jpg

any 02'ers on Kauai?

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

right side view going up..

DSC_0011.jpg

and useful traveler tip...if you have a convertible, do not leave the top down while you go on a 2hr hike at the top of the drive....even on a perfectly clear and sunny day........ if you see a sign like this at the trailhead....

DSC_0019.jpg

yep...it rains alot up there!

2xM3

Massively jealous of you and Janice.

Reminds me of my honeymoon in 1995. Susan and I rented a white Mustang convertible for driving Northern CA wine regions.  We had the top down most of the time but had to put it up and turn on the heat when we got to redwood forest areas. 

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"