• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charging System Issues

I bought my 2002 last August and the alternator was never charging. Using the Hanes Manual I diagnosed the issue to be the alternator. I decided to upgrade the alternator to one from a 320i. The alternator is a fresh reman from oreilys auto parts. I finally installed it today and wired it with what was recommended. B+ wire went to hot on the alternator and the blue wire went to d+. I started it and it still isn't charging.

Couple things did change however. With the stock alternator, the charge light on the dash never came on. Now with the new upgraded alternator, the light come on when the ignition is on, then is dimly lit when running.

Does anyone have any direction on where to go?

Thanks ahead of time for your help

Check the alternator ground. You mentioned two wires to the alternator, but not a ground connection. It must be grounded, and in a typical installation it is not grounded via the mounting bolts, but via a thick wire running from the timing chain cover bolt to a threaded post on the rear of the alternator and secured with a (8mm?) nut.

Plenty of more detailed write-ups available on this same topic with pictures if you use the search function.

Colin

1968 1602