• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Advice On Later Bimmers (Touring/ix, Or Other Awd Wagons)

KFunk

Hi All,

My fiancee's '00 Subaru Outback is getting to around 165K, and she's thinking she might like to eventually replace it with an E36/E46 touring xi, 5-series touring, or maybe something later like an E91 if the price is reasonable enough (anywhere up to 12K or so would probably be OK).  I just want to keep my eye out for now, maybe take some test drives if we see anything interesting, and consider something seriously when the outback has around 200K miles.

I recently put fresh MLS headgaskets, timing belt, etc. on the current Subaru, which was a ton of work, so it should live a while longer.  Electrical problems, rust, and random maintenance junk will make it more of a hassle as time goes on, though.  Lucky for me I don't mind those things leaving me stranded, and will keep the outback around as a winter beater/rallycross car, and I can tear the current winter beater miata apart and harvest its drivetrain.

She definitely wants a wagon, AWD, reliable workhorse, and maybe fun to drive.  This will also be our one fairly modern car, so it needs to hold up.  I'm not that familiar with the E36s and E46s, so I have no idea what to look for, and how the reliability would hold up in the high miles compared to other makes.  I presume timing belts and such, which I can handle.  Her family is a bit skeptical of BMWs, because they hear the horror stories of dumbasses that actually pay dealers to do everything, but that won't happen with me.  Just search the forums, order parts from BLUNT, and do it myself.

She'd also consider a later Outback like her old one, but I'm doubtful they've ever gotten their headgaskets completely reliable, and changing those is a miserable job.  It's the less exciting option as well, since a BMW could be a fun change. 

Any other AWD wagons to consider?

Thanks for the help,

Kevin

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

where does she live?  99% chance AWD is not needed.  more complication, more things to break expensively and lower fuel economy for little benefit.  my wife has 2002 325it (not "x").  with four snow tires that thing goes through anything winter has to offer unless depth of snow goes over the bottom of the car (which would stop an AWD too.)

avoid 2000/2001 E46's.  steering rack issues and the lower HP engine.

any bmw of this era and 100k miles or newer must have all plastic cooling system parts replaced.

www.e46fanatics.com

PS - if you must have an "x"or a touring, you are limited to E46 in the US.  there were no US market E36 tourings(wagons) or AWD's.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

Ah OK, E46 it is then.  Didn't know that about the 00s/01s.  Doesn't sound too bad about cooling system parts.

We're in Southeast Ohio near West Virginia, and it's very hilly and rural (Appalachia).  Lots of time spent on gravel, mud, and snow.  She does a lot of gardening in various locations, and we end up taking it off-road quite a bit for hauling stuff.  Anything less than the AWD she has now would be a step down from what she currently has and likes. 

I don't mind RWD in snow and mud myself, but I'm crazy.  The AWD on the Subaru can be fun in its own way.  It still slides in the snow, but damn its kinda fun to have both sets of tires still propelling you forward.  Subaru's AWD drivetrain itself hasn't really given her any problems for 165K miles.  No problems with CVs and other suspension parts.  It's just been headgaskets and random odd things that have went wrong. 

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Also, what about the Volvo XC70?  Any thoughts?

I know the old Volvos are known to be rock solid, but what about newer ones?

Bring a Welder

• 3 weeks later...

I'll chime in with an AWD opinion; I agree with marshall  :) .  We've got a 2001 325xiT, and while I love the car, I'd prefer to have the RWD equivalent for the simplicity and fuel economy.  We live in upstate NY, and while there are a few days each year that I appreciate the AWD, I find that snow tires are more important than AWD.  I've got a set of Hakkepelitta snows for the car, and find that if I swap them for summer tires in the winter there is a noticeable decrease in control, even with AWD.  In contrast, the xiT with snows is not that much better than our '91 318is or '09 MCS with snows.  

The downside to the AWD is mediocre fuel economy (23 mpg highway) due to the increased weight of the AWD (extra diff, transfer case) and the higher rear end diff the xi's received.  This is especially noticeable in our car, which being a 2001 still had the 5-speed manual, instead of a 6-speed.  We bought ours as a CPO in 2003, little did I know the 6-speed was coming.  So, the combination of tranny, diff ratio and added weight means that our car gets worse gas mileage than my friends' 330ZHP; is there no justice in the world?  Also, the car regularly goes through front CV joints, so I am a return customer to Blunt for front axles.

All this being said, the e46 touring is a great car; easy to work on, fun to drive, and I can haul my welding tanks for refilling in the back.  Try that in a Mini Cooper!

Ian

Edited by Ian

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT