• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Happy Fathers Day...old Bmx Bike

jgerock

We celebrated Father's day yesterday at my parent's house near C-Ville.  My dad has been after me to either get rid of or take two of my things that have been languishing in their basement for over 25 years (when they moved in).  One was my VW towbar and the other was my old BMX bike I had when I was a kid.

I told them multiple times the bike could be donated to the local charity and I offered it to my nephew, but it didn't move from the same spot.

I hauled both pieces back home yesterday and today cleaned up the bike after pumping up the tires and taking it for a quick spin around the neighborhood.  Boy do I feel old.  I think my dad bought me this bike when I was in the 8th grade (34 years ago) after my original one was stolen.

Edit: Found an old picture from September 1979 of the bike. Gooseneck had already been replaced by the TUF Neck since I broke the original one.  Still had the original black steel handlebars and crankset.  I think I replaced the crankset (3) times before buying one from the local bike shop that held up to my jumping.

Before the cleaning session

IMG_9015_zps4cce9796.jpg

IMG_9016_zps86429066.jpg

IMG_9017_zpsaa9e7834.jpg

IMG_9018_zpsc65fcb01.jpg

IMG_9019_zps923b1732.jpg

After a little love

IMG_9020_zps9c1282fb.jpg

IMG_9021_zps6d3b078c.jpg

IMG_0912_zps631b1411.jpg

Thanks Dad!

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Did a little on-line research.  Kabuki was a part of Bridgestone.  I believe the BMX series was called the "Bermbuster"  (should have been named the ballbuster). Some bikes were made from Chromoly and had an unusual seat post mount.  I used a magnet and everything on mine appears to be made from standard steel.  Guess my bike was one of their low-end units.  

El Cheapo replacement tires (20 x 2.125") are marked with "Golden Boy" :blink:

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 1 month later...