• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help With Rt Front Brake Dragging

mdh

Hey,

So I am in the process if swapping things over from my 73 (rust bucket) to my 75 and I am having a little trouble with my right front brake. The previous owner claimed the brakes were dragging but the shop that did my ppi replaced the rotors, calipers, hard lines and adjusted the rears for me. While working on the suspension I noticed that the passenger front is dragging slightly. 

So far I have bled a few times, swapped that caliper with the one from the 73 and replaced the rubber lines on that side but nothing has changed. The brakes feel pretty good otherwise. Anyone have any insight or where I should look next? The next step for me is to swap the new master cylinder from the 73 into the 75 but I get the feeling that wont change anything.

Thanks,

Matthew

Frequently its the flex lines that fail and swell internally, causing a "one-way valve" effect that makes that brake drag.  You say you've replace both the hard lines and the flex lines to that caliper.  This leaves the possibility that it's the caliper itself that is dragging, or that the master cylinder is not returning after being stroked by the pedal.  So swap in the more recent master.

The other possibility, which you have not completely clarified is that it's not actually the brakes causing the drag.  Possibly the wheel bearing is at fault?  Is the backing plate hanging on the rotor somehow?

Funnily enough my right front drags and i have brand new rebuild calipers, hard lines, rotors ,pads ect as well! For now im just living with it hoping the pad wears down alittle.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

The other possibility, which you have not completely clarified is that it's not actually the brakes causing the drag.  Possibly the wheel bearing is at fault?  Is the backing plate hanging on the rotor somehow?

I dont think it is conformational, things look pretty symmetrical side to side, bearing seems fine to me... 

I will swap masters this weekend and hope that is the culprit.

defective "rebuilt" caliper

remove the pads and see how easy it is to retract the pistons

should be very easy with little squeeze effort.

(cover your fluid res. incase fluid comes out of the vent hole in

the cap while retracting caliper pistons!)

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Hey,

So I am in the process if swapping things over from my 73 (rust bucket) to my 75 and I am having a little trouble with my right front brake. The previous owner claimed the brakes were dragging but the shop that did my ppi replaced the rotors, calipers, hard lines and adjusted the rears for me. While working on the suspension I noticed that the passenger front is dragging slightly. 

So far I have bled a few times, swapped that caliper with the one from the 73 and replaced the rubber lines on that side but nothing has changed. The brakes feel pretty good otherwise. Anyone have any insight or where I should look next? The next step for me is to swap the new master cylinder from the 73 into the 75 but I get the feeling that wont change anything.

Thanks,

Matthew

unless you have it plumbed wrong, it is not the master cyl.

sounds like you have replaced all the hard and soft lines and tried a different caliper.

were the pads hard to put in the caliper?  tight fit?  sometimes new pads have too much material when new to fit over new rotors.  pull  pads out, run some 100 grit sand paper over the pads to reduce the thickness and put them back in.  go out and drive, bedding in the brakes.  jack up and recheck for dragging.

and....is the pad only dragging on one side of the caliper?  maybe the rotor is not fully seated on the hub.  take it off and make sure the mating surfaces are clean and smooth.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3