• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Welding Rain Gutter Seams?

Taymar
Go to solution Solved by nbcbird,

I'm planning on getting the silver window trim painted black when my car goes for paint, and it occurred to me that rather than try to get the rain gutter trim strip painted and refitted without damaging it, I could just leave it off altogether, and use the body-colored rain gutters.

The only catch with this is it appears that this is the sandwich join where the roof meets the car, and I can visibly see the join between the two pieces. 

Would this be practical to get welded up and ground smooth, or sealed/filled in some way that wouldn't crack and fall out with the body shell flexing?

I saw that some people have shaved them entirely but that looks like a lot of work & I'd like at least some rain control there.

Edited by Taymar

• Solution

It looks like there is a heavy pinch weld along the two seams.   It might take some work, but some body filler would probably hide most of the inconsistencies.  I would also round off the top edge as it is fairly sharp.