• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 tii starter wiring

kremington

My 74 tii has a Bosch SR71X starter and I somehow unwittingly disconnected the SWRT wire that goes from the starter to the coil; and don't remember where it belongs. The SR71X has two open spade connectors and I know the wire needs to connect to '+'. Despite my best searching efforts, I cannot turn up verifiable details on which spade is indeed '+'. I suppose with a meter and an assistant turning the key I could figure it out too, but no assistants were handy today. Would some patient soul please take a look under their hood and tell me where to connect the SWRT wire? Thanks!

post-9256-13667671376255_thumb.jpg

-Keith

'74 Atlantik 2002tii

my 74tii has the original starter, don't know if that is an SR71X ??

I looked at mine, but it doesn't look anything like your picture .....

here's a picture of mine anyway, no idea if it will help .....

at the lower right, the clean terminal: that is the battery cable terminal .....

starter_wiringconnections.jpg

Cheers,

Carl

My 74 tii has the SR440x starter (the M3 one), but it's pretty similar to the new version of the 71 you have there. I think there are two possibiliites on mine for that wire, one terminal being above the other. On mine, the lower one works, and the upper one does not. Hope that helps

Andy74tii

FAQ Member #126

Thank you for the responses. I greatly appreciate your help. Both Carl's post with the photo of the original starter and Andy74tii's with the info on the SR440X (M3) starter coroberate with other clues I've managed to dig up elsewhere on the forum. Besides learning that the SR440X is the starter of choice for a tii, I'm now confident that the lower spade on the SR71X is the correct connector for the SWRT starter-coil wire. I will attempt to fire upthe engine today and report back

By the way if your curious, I'm running with a Bosch red coil, original resistor wire, NGK BP5ES plugs, and still using points/condenser. I have a Pertronix 1843 sitting in the box when I'm up for hunting down the mysterious green wire buried somewhere in my wiring harness.

-Keith

'74 Atlantik 2002tii

Following up here... My tii will not start. My first suspect was lack of spark, possibly related to that SWRT wire down at the starter. First of all I noted that when the wire was connected to the lower spade of on the SR71X starter, I got a voltage reading (with the key in the ON position) on the (+ terminal) coil of only about 2 volts - bad sign; and the wire was getting hot fast. So I tried switching the connection at the starter to the upper spade. Still no start; and negligible voltage at the coil. I had to stop there and sleep on it. Well it occurred to me in the wee hours this morning that I'm usually very careful and couldn't remember ever tugging on that SWRT wire. So eventually I got up, headed out to the garage and pulled the wire off the starter (like how I discovered it). What do you know, but I have 12 volts at the coil again! The car still won't start, so the investigation continues. I'm sure I'm getting plenty of fuel so will continue to focus on spark. Will install new OE plug wires later today.

-Keith

'74 Atlantik 2002tii

Following up here... My tii will not start. My first suspect was lack of spark, possibly related to that SWRT wire down at the starter. First of all I noted that when the wire was connected to the lower spade of on the SR71X starter, I got a voltage reading (with the key in the ON position) on the (+ terminal) coil of only about 2 volts - bad sign; and the wire was getting hot fast. So I tried switching the connection at the starter to the upper spade. Still no start; and negligible voltage at the coil. I had to stop there and sleep on it. Well it occurred to me in the wee hours this morning that I'm usually very careful and couldn't remember ever tugging on that SWRT wire. So eventually I got up, headed out to the garage and pulled the wire off the starter (like how I discovered it). What do you know, but I have 12 volts at the coil again! The car still won't start, so the investigation continues. I'm sure I'm getting plenty of fuel so will continue to focus on spark. Will install new OE plug wires later today.

-Keith

'74 Atlantik 2002tii

you lost me .....

is the starter now actually spinning the engine ??

and the new problem is no start ??

Cheers,

Carl

Carl, that's correct. The engine is turning over enthusiastically, but no start. Swapping plug wires today - fingers crossed.

-Keith

'74 Atlantik 2002tii