• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M20 Engine Mount Fabrication/Location Information Request

chad

I am in the process of fabricating engine mounts for my M20 swap and need clarification and helpful information regarding the engine location. I have some temp mounts fabricated (based off of other members and 6 into 2 descriptions), however, using the stock 02 engine mount locations I am only able to fit a 02 transmission mount bushing for the driver side because it is not as thick. I noticed in several photos that the passenger side mount is moved out and I want to know if this is typical for the swap (see photo)? It appears in all the photos I have seen that everyone uses a stock driver side mount bushing and I am assuming that they have to move the passenger side mount to do so.

post-10076-13667668962784_thumb.jpg

I used stock bushings (drivers side needs the bottom edge trimmed) on both sides. I would guess one of two things is happening. Either the mounts you have are made are not the same as those in 6 into 2 or you might just need to jack up the drivers side of the engine (read tilt towards pass side). Moving the pass side mounting point is done to create a more favorable lever for the mount-it doesn't move the motor in relation to the drivers side mount. While there is some lea way as far as moving the engine forward and back, the engine must be lined up with the drive shaft/diff (ie no moving it side to side).

I believe that I have the correct angle for the engine (bottom of the oil pan is flat) and have the 72 degree gussets on the passenger side. How much clearance do you have from the bottom of the pan to the cross-member? I have approximately a "finger thickness". I wonder if having it too low would be the reasoning for the pinching between the mounts.

I will work on it more this weekend and try to figure it out. Maybe I should have made the driver side mount first instead of the passenger side.