• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lighting Problem

ebeaupre

I noticed that my right rear side DOT-mandated lamp was out. I pulled the cover and noticed there was no bulb. Run to the store, buy a bulb, insert bulb and a whole bunch of other lights no longer work. I notice the socket for the bulb is broken, so some things may have gotten shorted that weren't supposed to. Doing this took out the right front parking lamp, right rear parking lamp, instrument cluster, license plate lamps and the DOT-mandated left rear side parking lamp. Stilll working are all turn signals, headlamps and the left side parking lamps. The fuses are all still intact. I pulled a bulb from the right rear roundie fixture and it wasn't blown.

WTF happened? I'm baffled on how to fix this. I there a fusible link somewhere that got toasted? This is my daily and I need to figure this out quick.

-eric

I'm not sure which fuse covers this on a roundie, but If you know, pull the fuse and make sure the ends do not have a burned circle - something that sometimes happens even though the "hourglass" link is not burner through.

If the fuse proves OK try rotating it a bit in the holders to eliminate any corrsion there. And you probably don't want to put a bulb in the bad socket until you replace the rear running light. You should be able to find one very economically on the "Parts Wanted" board.

Bob Napier