• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tune up interval

hnichols

Hi everybody,

I'm sure there are tons of posts on this simple, newbie question, but, believe it or not, I searched. ...

Anyway, In the original manual it says that one should do a BMW "Program test" every 8,000 miles: replace plugs, points, valve adjustment, etc. But I blieve it also says somewhere that this should be done twice a year. So if it's been about 2.5 years, but I've only driven about 3,700 miles, should I do this stuff? Car runs fine. Actually I'm looking forward to doing my first tune up while the weather is nice.

TIA!

Hugh

hnichols

I historically rack up between 12k and 20k miles on my 2002s annually. I take lots of road trips and I run 'em hard....but with respect. Here's roughly where I perform various services. For whatever reason, the F Bomb likes frequent valve adjustments to .007" every 5000-8000 miles. Other cars I've had were happy for 10,000 miles at a time or more.

Oil change with std oil (20/50 summer) every 3000 miles +/-

trans fluid change annually (currently running regular ATF in my 4 speed)

differential oil change every 2 years 80/90wt

coolant every 2 years

brake fluid, annually

fuel filter annually (I did thoroughly clean the insides of my tank just last year)

ignition points - adjust every 6,000 miles. replace every 10-14k miles

condenser, cap, rotor - annually

plug wires every 4 years

plugs - inspect every 10k miles, replace annually

check ignition timing annually

fan belt(s) annual inspection

tire pressure, monthly

visual check of mounts and suspension, twice annually (at least)

This isn't a "by the book" timeframe for any of this. Like I said, I run my car hard (4700 rpm for hours at a time) and I don't like lugging around loads of tools and spare parts. With the exception of a failed distributor that led to a head gasket failure this summer, my stuff doesn't break.

I suspect lack of use might cause excessive corrosion on some ignition bits (caps, rotors, points), but I can't prove it. Any chemists / engineers care to weigh an opinion on my theory?

post-17949-1366766344133_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Thanks, guys, that's helpful. I was really asking about the electric stuff, and valve adj., b/c I already change the fluids regularly. So it looks like I have some time (unless I start putting tons of miles on my car like Paul).

Hugh

hnichols

I run my car hard (4700 rpm for hours at a time)

awesome! for those of us with 4-speeds it's nice to know our old girls can take the abuse. i do drive around 4000 where i'm at about 72mph when driving on the freeway. haven't done more than an hour solid of that yet, and i was always wondering if it could take it.

12 BMW 135i + 76 BMW 2002