• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator ground cable

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My alternator is working fine until the ground cable on the back of my alternator got loose and it dangling around. Car won't start just a clicking clicking. Can anyone guide or show me a picture where does the ground cable connect to from the alternator to the ????. I know it needs to go to the battery but where the wire is connect to. Thanks guys.

there is a ground wire that is attached to the rear of the alternator housing and attaches to one of the bolts on the upper timing cover. is this the one you are referring to?

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

My alternator is working fine until the ground cable on the back of my alternator got loose and it dangling around. Car won't start just a clicking clicking. Can anyone guide or show me a picture where does the ground cable connect to from the alternator to the ????. I know it needs to go to the battery but where the wire is connect to. Thanks guys.

I missed that one when I reassembled after rebuilding engine, got flickery lights and stuff. I just bolted it where the ground strap from the fender goes, behind the starter.

Ola Gustafson
Sweden
-------------------
1975 Taiga Euro 2002 3685483 - Weber 38/38 DGMS - Pertronix Ignitor - H&R Cup Kit - TEP headers and Simons 2" sport exhaust - 3.91 LSD.

As has been said, your alternator ground cable needs to connect the body of the alternator to the motor. Typical connection point is one of the bolts on the left side of the head (cam chain cover). However, if you motor is not starting, it is probably because your battery is dead... most likely because of the missing ground.

You might want to check the voltage of your battery (s/b +12.6V for a typical lead-acid battery). You may need to recharge the battery or jump-start the car.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Guest Anonymous

Thank you to all whom responds to my help. Yes. This problem caused me lost sleep and times to search for the reason why my car couldn't start. First I thought it was a battery. Got a new battery but that didn't work. Thought it was my alternator but I found this red wire loose on the back of my alternator. I couldn't find where it could be hook or attached to. Then I look carefully underneath my head cam then I saw the connection point.

Jerry is right. " Typical connection point is one of the bolts on the left side of the head (cam chain cover). However, if you motor is not starting, it is probably because your battery is dead... most likely because of the missing ground ".

It works fine now and it seems I have more power to the car....perhaps a new battery and proper connection.

Finally I can sleep well and knowing I have a running 02 to wake up to in the morning.

Guest Anonymous

I also want to clarify the good quote was from Chris but Jerry also had the same guidance. Thanks again for your helps.