• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q: Can speedometer/odometer "W" gears be changed?

kbmb02

Question for those with actual (successful) experience or know-how:

I have a need for an early 'silver-dollar' speedometer with a W= number of 1.297, 1.28 or 1.3. I have extra's of that type speedo for late model cars, asking if there's a way to swap gears from one speedo cluster to another? (Someone suggested it may be the 'exterior' brass worm gear and accompanying gear, would appreciate info from those who can confirm or correct.) Thanks.

I'd also consider purchasing a working 'silver-dollar' speedometer with above-mentioned W number (I have W=1.4 (for 4.10 diff) and W=1.24 (for 3.45 diff)).

-KB

• 5 years later...
On 5/30/2012 at 10:14 AM, kbmb02 said:

Question for those with actual (successful) experience or know-how:

I have a need for an early 'silver-dollar' speedometer with a W= number of 1.297, 1.28 or 1.3. I have extra's of that type speedo for late model cars, asking if there's a way to swap gears from one speedo cluster to another? (Someone suggested it may be the 'exterior' brass worm gear and accompanying gear, would appreciate info from those who can confirm or correct.) Thanks.

I'd also consider purchasing a working 'silver-dollar' speedometer with above-mentioned W number (I have W=1.4 (for 4.10 diff) and W=1.24 (for 3.45 diff)).

-KB

Ken, what did you ever do on this?  I have a similar situation with my 69' having upgraded to a 3.91 LSD from a 320.  Looking for  a way to migrate to the 1.39 speedo gear.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff