• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horn Help

redphu72

Hi Ive done the site search but seems like I'm not finding what I need. I have a 74 tii and have no horn. There are two wires on the drivers side bundled with the headlight wires/harness. One is green/yellow and the other brown. Is this for the horn. I bought the Griots horn and it has two spade connectors + and - and the two loose wires have the female ends. They plug into each other nicely. What do I do next. Kit comes with a relay and I've traced the two loose wires back to one of the relays. Do I switch out the round silver stock relay and plug the new one (rectangle black) in. Do I have to run a new wire from the battery for power? Shouldn't that come from the relay? Thanks.

post-21265-13667660684348_thumb.jpg

I also have a 74 that did not have a horn. I just mounted a horn in front of the radiator and plugged the pair of wires in on the drivers side next to the head light bucket and horn worked. I see no need to replace the round horn relay already in the car if it still works as mine did. No extra wires to run.

If the horns you bought from Griot's are the red Hella horns then the relay up above the battery will work fine. There is a mounting hole in each front vertical brace for the mounting of these. They should just be plug-and-play on your car. If they are other than the Hella horns then someone else will have to advise you.

Bob Napier

I also have a 74 that did not have a horn. I just mounted a horn in front of the radiator and plugged the pair of wires in on the drivers side next to the head light bucket and horn worked. I see no need to replace the round horn relay already in the car if it still works as mine did. No extra wires to run.

Are you referring to the pair of wires shown? If so is the Green one positive.

Is the ignition on during horn testing?

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Do I need to run a separate wire from the battery (+) to the horn? They've provided special wire with a fuse in it and the directions says to connect it to one of the numbered spades on the relay. But the relay (provided in the kit) is suppose to be connected into the harness on the side of the car. Do I need to tap into the wiring harness and connect the "special" fuse wire to the female connector for that numbered spade? I hope this makes sense. Thanks.

The horn you bought comes with a relay kit that you do not need. You are making it more complicated than it really is. BMW has already put all the wiring you need with relay and fuse in the fuse box. You can check the relay is working by turning the ign on and press the horn button on the steering wheel. The round relay on the inner fender should click once. The only thing you really need to do is mount the horn and plug the g/y into the + and the brown into the - on the new horn. The g/y wire is the hot and brown the ground or neutral.

Peter

1974 Polaris '02

Sorry for being such a newbie but I ended up buying a project beyond my capabilities, so I'm learning as I go along. I take it that I don't need to run a jumper wire from the battery then, all good news. I will do as suggested by you good folks. First I need to wait for Blunt to send me that darn carbon pin.