• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clutch noise in 1974 2002tii

bluelang

Ahoy the internet,

I had been looking around for an '02 for about 5 years and finally pulled the trigger on a 74 Malaga tii. It is generally in great shape, but is a little crunchy in the shifter. It has a 5-speed installed, not sure of the model but assuming 245.

Anyways, there's some whining when the clutch is in. I took a short video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZSvFXjH_8Q

It's easiest to hear the noise at the end when I mention in/out. Any ideas? This is my daily driver and I plan on keeping it for a long time.

Thanks!

whining when the clutch is engaged is generally the throwout bearing; whining in neutral with the clutch out can either be a bearing in the tranny or (more likely) the pilot bearing in the crankshaft end where the tranny's input shaft fits.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks, Mike! Neither of those would lead to the crunchy shifting, right? Sounds like I need to just take it somewhere and get the tranny looked at?

On that topic, does anyone ever drop an automatic in these, and will the usual 320i gear bolt up? I have a bad left knee, so commuting in traffic is a killer.