• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why did you get a 2002?

Pluto

I have a passion for 70's era european and japanese 4 cylinder cars. I much prefer the european. I spent summers as a kid in Germany and rode in these cars when they were new. To me the 70's era foreign cars felt very machine, felt very connected with the road and driver. Just seems these 4 cylinder cars become an extension of you when you drive them. Like the hood is part of you, tires are part of you. Like you have machine cloths on

That feeling was quickly lost in the 80's with computers, steering assists etc

The 02, IMO is the car that captures this feeling the best. I remember in about 1972 or so my aunt picked my sister and I up in a Tii from Frankfurt airport. Car was brand new, I was 8 years old. I LOVED that car, the engine noise, wind noise...impacted me...spent the whole summer riding in that car. The following year she picked us up in a 3.0CS...brand new. Did not like it near as much. Even rode ina new Bavaria....the 02 had that feeling these others did not.

“Cars that felt very machine?” Hood and tires that are “part of you?” Like you have machine cloths on?” Bet you have not missed a single Transformer, Iron Man or Harry Potter.

You must have evaluated many other cars as an eight-year-old. Was that as a passenger in both front and rear seats? Windows, up or down?

LOL

and you're hoping to gain WHAT by picking on this guy's speech/grammar and explanation?

1988 BMW 325 - M52 swapped - Hilde.

1969 BMW 2002 - Griselda - 20VT coming soon...

"project blog" - www.cynicalmotorsport.blogspot.com

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watched China Syndrome back in 1979 & one of the characters in the movie (Jack Lemmon I think) drove one. It's been my dream car ever since. Long story short I am now able to fullfil that dream & will have delivery of a Granada 1971 in about 20 weeks.

dietdude

• 3 months later...

Been a while since I posted this original thread, but I just wanted to thank everyone's input. As luck we have it, I didn't get either one for various reasons and the search goes on. Hopefully someday I will get a 2002, but sadly they are awful rare in NY state as the tin worm ate them years ago. To give you an idea how rare, I saw one 2002 all summer long, but I saw 3 Studebakers on the road at different times. Go figure that one!

I'm gonna buy one Monday. Had one (Malaga roundie) from 81 to 83. Was talking to a friend who inherited a 912 targa about 6 mo ago and thought "if I was going to get a classic, I would get an 02...." that started a mission to find the right 02. Not a roundie but still seems right. Just drivable, simple and handsome

I Had a 510 in high school but always loved the 2002 but could never afford them.

I turned 30 and saw myself in a 69 2002 1 owner stock malaga off Craigslist and never looked back....now 10 years later still love that same well balanced

"little giant killer". A plus is the 02 crowd is very cool here in the Bay Area.

Jb

'69 2002 (M2 for 2012) daily driver

'71 911 T (2.4s) powered Weekend joyride

'67 VW Crew Cab Turbo truck parts hauler

--------------------------------------------------

www.eurovintageparts.com