• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tii Warm up valve - help needed please

classicman

Am idling a bit high as I didn't have a CO meter with me last night to set the mixture. Will sort this out tonight and set the idling at the same time. The book says 850-950rpm for idle, 1,100rpm sounds a little fast?

74tii - Alpina A4 Spec

71 3.0 csl - to be restored

OK, so not as easy as I thought.

I've got the mixture sorted at idle. It runs between 6% and 7% at 3,500-4,000rpm though. Do I adjust using the washer nut on the warm up transmitter, or the "verboten" adjusting screw as per the Mcartney Book? Either way do I readjust the gap to 2.6mm at the end of the process?

74tii - Alpina A4 Spec

You are going about this bass ackwards. The CO at idle is the last thing you do.

Get a hold of the tii manual and go through the tii set-up step by step not missing any steps.

Keith Kreeger's site has the manual you can download

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so it has been some time since I needed to bring this up again as I thought I had the settings right. I went through all the manuals and steps, and eventually I had the CO set at 5% at 4,000rpm and 2.5% at idle. The idle was still a bit lumpy but I was happy with her running a little on the rich side. She started easily and ran well. My thinking was to do 1,000km and then retorque the head and re-check all of the settings.

The car has been standing for the last two weeks and now that I have tried to restart her, she won't start. She "runs-on" while cranking, but just won't fire up. When the battery ran flat, I resorted to pushing her down the hill to try and start her. Not smart, as she still wouldn't fire up and I was stuck at the bottom of the hill. While towing her back up, she eventually started and once started, ran nicely.

I drove her back down the road to my house and now she won't start again. Any ideas??

74tii - Alpina A4 Spec

Is it getting flooded? What about the timing? If the timing is off, starting can be easier or harder. Points/gap ok? Wiring all seated properly?

BTW, have you set the warm up regulator properly? It made a huge difference when I did so. I got good warm idle when I set it correctly at 2.6mm, but I did not get good non-fully-warm idle until I had adjusted hte warm up regulator piston propoerly. I've not adjusted the CO (don't have a meter yet till next week), but found that setting idle per the instructions was sufficient to have a good idle -- along with setting the warm up regulator.

The regulator first needs to be set up so that the piston is even with the top surface as 68F. I've posted on an other thread of how you can do this without taking the regulator off the car. Then set the gap to 2.6mm.

Then set idle and the CO screw to the default position.

Then check timing and readjust idle.

I think then adjust CO and readjust idle. (I've not done this yet).

Then if really needed, adjust the running CO with verboten screw. If you do this, you may have to go back and reset gap to 2.6mm and start back up from there. (I have not done this yet).

OK, so it has been some time since I needed to bring this up again as I thought I had the settings right. I went through all the manuals and steps, and eventually I had the CO set at 5% at 4,000rpm and 2.5% at idle. The idle was still a bit lumpy but I was happy with her running a little on the rich side. She started easily and ran well. My thinking was to do 1,000km and then retorque the head and re-check all of the settings.

The car has been standing for the last two weeks and now that I have tried to restart her, she won't start. She "runs-on" while cranking, but just won't fire up. When the battery ran flat, I resorted to pushing her down the hill to try and start her. Not smart, as she still wouldn't fire up and I was stuck at the bottom of the hill. While towing her back up, she eventually started and once started, ran nicely.

I drove her back down the road to my house and now she won't start again. Any ideas??