• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I take the rear trunk tumbler apart to rekey it?

austinmf

How do I take the rear trunk tumbler apart to rekey it?

I have the cylinder out and it looks like the foot slides over on the tail end but I cannot get it to budge...

Will a lock shop know how to swap them?

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

I had one done recently by a local mom and pop locksmith shop. There's a split ring on the inside end that was the key to dis-assembly. A recommendation- There's a key number stamped on the barrel, which will allow the locksmith to just make a key to fit a working lock. Keeping it "stock" to match that key code will allow an easy key purchase by using the number in the future. Even if they have to rebuild it, stay with the same number. 'Course a thorough cleaning of the internals may be all that's needed also. I think making a key from the number was going to be $15 as compared to $3 or so from a sample key. I forget what I paid for the rebuild with new pins, but it wasn't much.

Bear in mind that a new lock with key was still available last time I looked, for something like 30-40$ and might be cheaper in the end if your locksmith drives a new 7 series

If your locksmith doesn't have BMW codes from that far back, the same number on the barrel applied to VW codes from the same era actually work.

Ask me how I know...

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet