• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much metal to remove?

zippy500

Well I have managed to strip out most of the interior to reveal the usual rusted out floorpan and chassis rail.

I have a floorpan patch panel now, so how much would you cut out, would you replace the whole panel or just cut out part what you need , My rust just goes beyond the chassis rail.

I have decided to lap weld the patch panel in then just seam sealer it top/bottom when done.

I want to start a Utube blog before I start- I dont think that we have enough 2002 resto vids.

i, personally, prefer to only remove only as much as necessary. if that means several discrete patches, so be it. additionally, i'd avoid lap joints if possible, unless you are dealing with an original lap joint. butt-welds are worth the effort and deserve 'bragging rights', when done. if you've gone to the expense to buy panels i'm assuming you care more about this car than just using it to get by.

there are instances where you might be forced to cut away material just to access the area you really need to fix. such might be the case with the frame rails (carriage rails).

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

1 inch from the border is the rule of thumb. also if you can, cut a nice rectangular patch. this greatly makes your patch work easier as you will make 4 cuts max to the patch piece. to be extra safe, cut a piece of cardboard to shape and then use it as a template on your patch piece. finally when you weld, spot weld opposite corners to prevent shrinkage and large gaps on the other side.

edit: I agree w. person above. butt weld. lap weld will increase risk of rust between the joined pieces. the only time i'd do lap is if i am using a non-structural piece and using adhesives for a floorpan piece. the little round escape holes under the front cabin pieces come to mind.

finally, i would paint on some POR15 or just regular paint on the welds. on the underside, i would use brusahble seam sealer and then coat with a spray on undercoating for added protection