• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good 02 mechanic in MN?

Dev02

Hi all, I'm new to the forum but have noticed there are a number of owners here in MN and thought maybe one of you would know a good place to take my car.

I have a '71 non-tii that I just got back on the road after a LONG time of ignoring it. I'm looking to get the carb adjusted and have the thing looked over for basic things by someone that knows the car.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Yes, there WAS skin on my knuckles before I started the repair...

I might be coming up to the cities this weekend I could take a look at your car. I have 15+ years mechanical experience including fabrication, restoration and engine machining. Feel free to shoot me an email DFTurner@gmail.com

74' 2002 - 4221783 (PNW Runner)

71' 2002 - 2570759 (Barn Find Beauty)

70' 2002 - 1672384 (Bondo Bomb)

70' 1600 - 1572075 (Current Project)

About seven of us local 02 folks got together at the Wheels and Wings show Saturday in Osceola WI. Beautiful day and 850+ cars. Great day.

We are starting an informal group locally (Minnes02 Group)and try to get together for a few shows and social gatherings a several times a year. As others have stated Steve (Blunt) P. is very knowledgable as is Jim M. (also on this Board). Both personally know good mechanics in town. Email me and I'll connect you with the larger local group and I'm sure someone can help.

Mike

76 Malaga (Molly)

Mods:

Weber

Recaro

Eibach

Bilstein

Panasport

Ansi

Parker

Ireland Eng.

'72 Tii Project

Christian, thanks for the welcome, I hope to meet more of the local group. I've met one who was kind enough to stop by and look my 71 over and give some info.

-Devlin

Mike, thanks for the info and the offer. I'd send an email but I don't see one and cant figure out if there's a way to do it through the site. New to the site so I don't know some of the features.

Mine is devlinborders@comcast.net if you want to send me one. Thanks again!

-Devlin

Devlin,

Welcome!! I'd be happy to look at your car if you like. What carb are you running..?? Might be an idea to host a wrenching party and let all of us TC '02 owners loose on your car - make small work.

If you're looking for a local mechanic, try Dave Juntanin @ Top Gear Automotive on Lake Street (at Hiawatha) - http://topgearmn.com/ . I've known Dave for more than a decade and IMHO, he's the best foreign guy in town. Dave was the exotic tech at Downtown Jaguar/Lotus/Land Rover for years and I 1st met him through the local Lotus Club. He started his own shop a year ago and it has grown tremendously - he's THE guy for anything exotic or high-end and is to be trusted, wiill not perform work you do not need and is less expensive than many area shops.

Dave is actually one, in fact, the ONLY mechanic I would take my own cars to. Wrenching is part of the whole thing for me, so I don't give Dave as much work as I'd like, but I've recommended him to many people, all satisfied.

Anyway, got an email from Mike Gray with your particulars and will reply with our email list!

Cheers!

Jim M.

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Thanks Jim!

I think I've got a 32/36??? I'm quite positive it is one of the ones that mixes air and gas and sends that to the cylinders... but other than that am just guessing. It's running well but carbs are NOT my thing so I imagine it could be tweaked after sitting for so long.

The mechanic you recommended is right around the corner from me so that will work great.

I'd love to host some people to come over and drink beer and rip on my ca... um, help me with my car. Though, compared to some of the garages and setups I've seen here mine is VERY simple (saw one yesterday where the guy had one of his Porsche’s held in a lift above his pristine '02!).

My new fun things are strange noises coming from the suspension and an interesting vibration at certain speeds. David T, who was kind enough to have a beer with me and look over my '02, thinks the noises are the old bushings-etc and I am inclined to agree with him. I will probably be getting the kit from Blunt but wanted to find out if urethane was a better way to go and if he had that as an option. The vibration seems to be a result of the exhaust, but I'm not positive about that.

Thanks again for the response and the welcome.

-Devlin